Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Router Dropouts / Disconnections Affect Download Speed

bigshorty40
Grafter

Can Router Dropouts / Disconnections Affect Download Speed

Hi All

Got a technical question I'd like some views / thoughts on, and hoping some of you guys can help me.

My current network setup consists of modem and router separates, not a modem / router combo. The reason for this setup is so that I can mess around with my router configuration, and the necessary restarting that comes with changing configurations, without it affecting my broadband sync as the modem will constantly be on / connected and not have to be restarted. My router handles the PPPoE info for my broadband.

I had a BT engineer around yesterday to investigate disconnection problems I've been getting, that have been affecting my download speed. They said that they cannot find anything wrong, and told me that my modem has always been in sync, however they said that it was likely the disconnections were down to my router, as they saw data traffic being disconnected now and again, and told me this would be the likely cause of why my download speed has decreased.

From what I was aware, it doesn't matter how much the router is restarted or disconnects, as long as the modem stays on and in sync then broadband speeds should not be affected. I would be grateful if someone could clarify that my way of thinking is correct, or if not, why?

Many thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Can Router Dropouts / Disconnections Affect Download Speed

Like you we once had separate devices.

I noticed immediately that the router is where the plusnet connection credentials are entered which indicates that it takes control of the modem and initiates the connection - just like windows used to do with a dialup modem.

Now the modem may well be sync'd but if there is no router connected to it then logic would suggest that the modem will drop the data connection - just as a dialup modem inside a PC would if you were to restart the computer.

So short answer, yes it is quite possible that your router tinkering is affecting your download speeds. If you want to continue tinkering then get a mini-itx windows powered PC with all the dsl hardware and then you'll have a full blown windows OS that you can tinker on without needing to restart. Use Nat32 as the software router (though windows does support this natively) and you'll be grand.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
bigshorty40
Grafter

Re: Can Router Dropouts / Disconnections Affect Download Speed

Cheers for the really quick response, and enlightening me with the info you gave, its been a great help. It didn't occur to me that restarting the router could be a cause for the drop in speeds, but as it handles the PPPoE details, then it does make sense that restarting it would make my broadband look like there are disconnections.

I appreciate your advice on the hardware you mentioned to allow me to mess around with my configuration, however that's probably too much for my needs, I only messed around with VPNs and bandwidth control, stuff like that. All I need is to show my line is stable and hopefully the speeds will start to increase, and to do that I obviously need a modem that handles PPPoE.

Thanks again for your help with this, I really do appreciate it, you learn something new every day!!!