cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Linux learn from Windows?

Not applicable

Can Linux learn from Windows?

Reading a Linux magazine there is a piece about things that Linux could learn from Windows.
The example given was the search facility being better in Windows and not too good in Linux.
I'm very inexperienced so haven't much to offer really.
Only thing that niggles me is having to log in. If it's disabled I still have to add the password for wireless connection so that annoys me as I am the only user. I'd just like it to be like Windows - switch on and that's it.
Anyone have any other gripes? (Am betting on a deafening silence from you firmly pro-Linux bunch).
36 REPLIES 36
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: Can Linux learn from Windows?

Not tried it but this link might help with the automatic logging in.
As for search, I've never had trouble finding stuff, thanks to a combination of locate, find, grep and dpkg -L|S. I have to say the Windows search on XP is very slow, and I've never used Vista. Mac OSX on the other hand has impressed me post with it's 'Spotlight' system, it's very fast.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

That partitioning is a concept that an average user should never hear about!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Not applicable

Will check out the link - thanks for that.
Partitioning - yes too much for the average user but not necessary if you buy a computer with a distro pre-installed (I suppose), as is the case with Windows.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Ubuntu comes with Beagle http://beagle-project.org/Getting_Started as a search tool
This comes as an icon on the panel - well it does with Gnome anyway.
You configure it via GUI to run as a background process, so that when you
search for anyhing - up comes a list of items...
for example the following took about 5 seconds...
(Windows takes about 15 minutes)

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I read that article, I didn't agree with it but I read it  Wink
Some people NEED to be organised, they need to know where everything is, and CAN'T do it them selves. I have NEVER felt the need to have to find an email when I am the desktop, I can search from WITHIN thunderbird, either by title or by content. My mp3 collection is organised as I  like it, not how the "manager" sets it up. I keep my files organised in a hierarchical folder system, not all over the disk  Roll_eyes
I don't even use Beagle, I disabled it, I also disabled the M$ search as all it did was rattle the disk continuously and still not find anything when I wanted it. Maybe coming from when files names were limited to 8.3 (filename.ext) makes me "look after" it more. I have my picture files stored in folders that describe the place or event, or what is in the pictures, not all jumbled up and then have to rely on Meta data to find what I want.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Only thing that niggles me is having to log in. If it's disabled I still have to add the password for wireless connection so that annoys me as I am the only user. I'd just like it to be like Windows - switch on and that's it.

Poppy, It can be done but it involves storing your Wifi passwords unencrypted. The link posted by Ben shows how to enable automatic login. The problem is that autologin doesnt enable access to the 'keyring' , which is where the Wifi passwords are stored. In order to always allow access to them, they can be stored with a blank password which means they are stored in potentially an unsafe ( unencrypted ) way. If you are the only user of the computer and you only use it on your own network, then this may well be an acceptable setup.
The link below explains how to setup the keyring in this way.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_auto_login_problem_solved

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero

I have Beagle disabled on most PC's - but I did a trial enable on my main PC (because it's dual core, too much spare disk etc).
I have never noticed anything bad. It takes a while whilst it builds it's initial indexes, but then it goes quiet.
I don't use it much though.
BTW I keep my WPA key in plain text in /etc/network/interfaces
But if you could read it, you have already managed to access my PC via wireless Cheesy

VileReynard
Hero

Oh yes - Linux can learn from Windows.
There's usually a right way to do something and then there's the M$ way.  Grin

mal0z
Grafter

Well did MS ever innovate doing anything
MSDOS was bought from someone else and developed
and didn't Digital Research release their GEM before windows ?.
The first spreadsheets were Supercalc, and Lotus 123,
The first really successful word processor - Wordstar
then Multimate, Word Perfect,
databases dbase
Then they almost missed the boat with the Internet - Netscape.

M$ just seemed to have a good marketing strategy !.
Are they really worldbeating at any particular software package ?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Well I'm staggered that it took until reply 4 for the Microsoft bashing to start.
And there in one is why it'll take longer for Linux to ever get a large(r) share of the home user desktop market.
I don't think I've gone on any Linux forum or orientated site that doesn't have much M$ or digs; all that is gonna do is turn some people off.
I think Linux has plenty to learn from windows, but in a blinkered world of Microsoft = bad / evil etc why would it want to?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero

Well - if by comparison with Windows, you mean programs written by users etc that run on the Windows OS, there are quite a number of excellent ones - obviously.
But as for software written or sold by M$ - no.
The usual procedure is to start with a standard and mess around with it, in the hope that the M$ implementation  becomes the de facto standard.
I honestly cannot think of anything they've done that's been particularly original or useful.
However, I have been mostly away from the M$ world for a couple of years, since my IBM programming role "ended".
So perhaps, everything's changed and the people who brought you Vista have learned a lot in the last couple of years.

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
Well I'm staggered that it took until reply 4 for the Microsoft bashing to start.

Aye, I'm surprised three people got a word  in before The Evil One, too.  Smiley
Not applicable

I'm surprised it got past my original post before the Microsoft bashing started so I am pleasantly surprised.
Even to get a reply is something!
Still there is nothing that Linux users want from Windows but I have one - I like the Vista Solitaire better than Cranford or the other one that is in the repository, so there! I'd better shut up now or I'll be banned from the Linux forum.  Lips_are_sealed
PS Thanks for the link MisterW - going to study this later to see if I can do some tweaks.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: poppy
I like the Vista Solitaire better than Cranford or the other one that is in the repository,

Have you tried adding the gnome games-extra-data from the repositories & change the default card to <check my settings> Bonded (Mind you this is Freecell I never play standard these days), just checked it works on both  Cheesy
Makes the cards look like normal playing cards to me anyway  Tongue
Quote from: adiewoo
I think Linux has plenty to learn from windows, but in a blinkered world of Microsoft = bad / evil etc why would it want to?

At no point have I ever said M$ is evil, just because I use the shorthand for Microsoft (M$) doesn't meant that I find them evil, blinkered and money grabbing YES but evil no.
When I was learning M$ networking I had to unlearn what I already knew and relearn the M$ way. Same with web pages HTML is a STANDARD, but M$ "added"/moddified it to make their browser look better than Netscape Navigator. I used to make my living supporting M$ OS's (From NT4 to Xp & Server 2003) and apps, so I know what I am talking about.
I maybe a critic of M$ and a lover of Open Source but so what, at least I don't attack people because they use a different OS, like some football fans do.