cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use two routers?

markoos
Dabbler

Can I use two routers?

We have a problem with poor signal strength due to stone walls (presumably). When I'm on the floors directly above or below the new Thomson router, the signal is excellent - further away it drops down to minimum. This is the same issue I had with the Belkin 54g which the Thomson has replaced.
Is it possible to have a router on each floor with the same settings or something, so signal strength will be consistently good throughout the house? (ie, switch from router to router as necessary?)
And if so, how can I reconfigure the Belkin - ie, do I use the settings supplied with the new Plusnet account and router? Does it also have an IP address (I have no documentation for it)?
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Can I use two routers?

Afraid not - Having two ADSL Routers connected to your phone line will mess up your data transfer, practically making the internet unusable.
scootie
Grafter

you want to be trying the options in the capture below the 2nd router does not have to be connecting to your phone line.
ive not actual put this method in to pratice but i belive in expense of the extra coverage it will half the thoughput speed of the wireless network and its made abit more trickeyer wen using 2 diffrent make models of routers
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Is it possible to have a router on each floor with the same settings or something, so signal strength will be consistently good throughout the house? (ie, switch from router to router as necessary?)

Is it possible to run a network ( Cat5 ) cable between the two routers ?
If this is practical then it should be possible to use the second router just as an Access point.
That way the second router isnt connected to the phone line and you dont have the problems James refers to.
If the cable option is practical then post back with the details ( Model no ) of the Belkin and we can advise on how to configure it to use it as an access point.
Hope that helps.

Edit:- ASBO types faster than me. His idea of using WDS might work  but  I've always had trouble when trying with different makes of routers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

My neighbour had a similar problem, which I solved with one of these - http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
scootie
Grafter

nice 4 candles i might have to get my blue peter head on later an see what the results are like
Nick_Russell
Grafter

A couple of products from Netgear will do what you want...
A Wireless Access Point -
http://netgear.co.uk/extra/wallplugged_range_extender_wgxb102.php

..or power line extender
http://netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_access_points.php
Or maybe get a max range router?
http://netgear.co.uk/rangemaxnext_wirelessbroadbandrouter_dg834n.php
markoos
Dabbler

Thanks for the fast replies - lots to consider here, so I'll start with the easiest or cheapest potential fixes first - thanks 4Candles! If I don't have any luck with that booster idea then I'll bring this thread up again.
Markoos
artificer
Grafter

i have a couple of ethernet switches to extend my range.  these are simple boxes with ethernet connexions, but no router capability.
hulls
Grafter

I had a similar problem. I bought a couple of home plugs, which worked great.  One plugs into the router, and the other goes wherever you want your computer, all you need it a handy power socket.  Smiley
John
paulby
Grafter

One of these worked a treat for me!