cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a second router to extend my network?

docrobster
Grafter

Can I use a second router to extend my network?

I have a wifi network using a Netgear DG834G and my desktop and laptop connected via wifi. Due to where the phone sockets are in the house I can't get the router to cover the whole of the house so we often have problems with the laptop dropping the connection, which makes surfing in front of the telly a pain.
I recently acquired a second wifi router (voyager 2091, courtesy of plusnet) and was wondering if I could use it as a kind of access point to connect to my existing network and extend it's range so the laptop can be used in more of the house. I imagined plugging it in part way between the netgear router and where the connection drops off, and have it pick up the ssid I am on and transmit it to the far reaches of the house. I was wondering A) if this is possible and if so B) what settings do I need to change in order to do it. I presume I need to manually alter the I.P address of the 2nd router so that it is in the range of the 1st one, but do I need to do anything else? I read somewhere about turning off DHCP or something, but am not sure how I do this on the new router.
Also do people with experience of both these routers have any advice on which provides a better signal? Would it be worth just replacing the 2yr old netgear with the voyager?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
14 REPLIES 14
holdtight
Grafter

Re: Can I use a second router to extend my network?

Hi Rob
IIrc its not possible to use two separate wireless routers on one ADSL line as it causes conflicts so what you need is a dedicated access point to sit exactly where you say the signal starts dropping, ive set these up for quite a few people and it works very well covering the whole house instead of just part of it
Can you not extend your phone socket from where it is to a more convenient location, even if its the master socket an extension wont make any difference to line noise unless its very long this is when problems can arise
The DG834G is a very good router and as you say is a couple of years old now but imho you will see no benefit from changing it to something else just make sure it has the latest firmware installed
I remember reading sometime ago about some success being had from modifying the aerial i think with card and foil Huh to make the signal more directional so maybe a google search will uncover this if you want to try the £0 option
paulby
Grafter

As Bill_M said, you'll need a wireless access point connected into your network.
You could also try one of these.
docrobster
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I can't use the 2nd router in the way that I had imagined I could. I will try a straight swap to see if it gives better coverage than the netgear, and will play around with positioning a little.
Will
Grafter

Well, strictly you can use a second router. I have done this myself.
You simply set up your main router to connect to the internet then the second router to connect to the preliminary router.
However, one thing I would say is that if you intend on 'buying' a second router. Dont bother. Simply just get a hub or AP to extend your range.
docrobster
Grafter

Could you explain how to do this please?
I have a reasonable amount of knowledge but simpler would be good!
Do you mesn I can get the second router to connect to the wirelss network of the first and amplify/extend the signal? This is what I am after
Will
Grafter

You need to make the second router login to the first.
This initially means that you have to change the login address of it.
I suggest changing it to something like 192.168.1.1 (do this through LAN IP Setup)
Then once you've done that (you can verify this has been correctly done by trying to login on 192.168.1.1) you need to make it connect to the first router (which should be 192.168.0.1) which is normally done through Basic Settings for the router.
Now, bear with me, I have not done this in a while, but I believe you set up the DNS server on the second router as 192.168.0.1
DO NOT enter login details. It should simply sync to your first router and connect to the net that way.
Now, I have no experience with doing this wirelessly. As previously as PJ mentioned I hardwired them.
Simon_M
Grafter

Some routers can be configured to act as a wireless access point - I have one, an Intertex IX-67 - but it's not common.
I don't know enough about yours (& I'm not downloading & studying the manuals at this time of night  Smiley ) but I guess it's unlikely.
I sure you could do it ok if you can run a cable, as suggested, but unlikely otherwise.
The other suggestions made earlier in the thread may be a better option for you if a cable isn't feasible.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Could you not take an old PC, stick in it:-
a wireless card (to connect to the first wireless AP)
an ethernet card to connect to the second (wireless router)
Load "some software to perform the routing functions".
Actually, since I notice that my wireless Netgear ADSL/router uses a severely cut-down version of Linux to do all the clever bits, I assume that you would Linux for this.
BTW I have seen this kind of thing done (years ago) as a bridge between a token-ring network and an ethernet network. There wasn't any NAT, DHCP etc involved though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

docrobster
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't happen to have an old pc lying around to use as a router, and more cables cluttering up the house aren't going to be allowed by the wife. I will try some of the suggestions and report back if I get anywhere!
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: docrobster
more cables cluttering up the house aren't going to be allowed by the wife.

Maybe you should do a trade & get a new ....
No, no - whatever am I thinking.
Try this blog instead for some other alternatives to more cables. There are Powerline products that will let you extend wireless range this way. Follow the links from the blog.
Will
Grafter

Go for a new router tbh. Get a N standard router, they have great range. I have a Netgear Rangemax NEXT. The downstairs PC is a good example. I used to get a low or poor signal at all times. Now I get excellent 24/7. Get the adapter too.
jeremyrussell

Hi all; I have a similar issue to the OP, on which I could use some advice.
I've been using a NetGear DG834GT combined modem/router, connected to the one phone point in my house.  For the past two+ years, it's worked fine - I've been able to keep both my laptops connected from my dining room table (same room as the router) and my wife has been connected from upstairs (it's a small house and I'm guessing the distance between her PC and the NetGear unit is less than 40 feet).
Recently, her machine - actually one of my old ones that until four weeks ago was fine - has started dropping it's wireless connection.  She is using a Toshiba SatPro 6000 with a built-in wireless card.  I suspected that it was her card, so I disabled it and substituted a NetGear MA40x (can't remember the number) PCMCIA wireless card with no real success.  I then tried the wireless USB / memory stick that came with the router - no joy there either.  I've purchased a further NetGear DG834 unit, updated the drivers and it still doesn't work.
My newer laptops are fine in the same location where the failing machine sits.
In summary, I've switched the router and tried two alternate wireless cards in the failing laptop.  I'm therefore reasonably certain that it can't be the router and I find it hard to believe that all three cards - the NetGear PCMCIA card, the USB stick and the built-in card - are all faulty.  There has to be something else in this laptop that is causing the problem. 
I'm working outside the UK until next weekend, so cannot try the advice regarding linking the two routers together, but I will try that as soon as I can.
Can anyone suggest any other potential resolutions?
Thanks
Jeremy
jeremyrussell

Thanks for the channel changing sugestion and I'll certainly give it a try.  Both my laptops (newer Toshiba units) can connect happily and stably in the same room.  We have a wireless/DECT phone connected to the same BT master phone socket - the second DECT extension is also in the same upstairs room used as an office and doesn't seem to affect my laptops, just my wife's.
I'll give NetStumbler a go ASAP.
I've also acquired a DECT headset (used to teach online training classes) which is typically connected as extension #3 in the office/bedroom also ... however, that's been in situ for six months and there weren't any issues until four weeks ago. 
Our wireless network is using channel 6 - I guess it could be interference as you suggested and as soon as I get back home next weekend, I'll try switching channels and report back.
Again, my thanks for your prompt suggestion.
docrobster
Grafter

Well I have spent some time trying out the new router and failed miserably to use it how I wanted too. Interestingly the Bt Voyager does have settings to use it as a repeater, but as the Netgear isn't compatible this doesn't help. Presumably 2 BT routers would work like this though.
Re. the other suggestions I may go down the power line networking route- seems to be a good way to extend a network. Has anyone had any "issues" with powerline networks? All the reviews I have read are good so far, I wondered if there are hidden surprises?
One thing that has affected my wifi network is a video sender. I realised there might be an issue when trying to watch TV in the bedroom via the video sender, there was interference that disappeared when the router was unplugged. Consequently I have switched off the video sender and there seems to be less holes in the wifi coverage now.
Now I just have to decide between sky multiroom and a slingbox!