Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I share files using my webspace?

Buggwrit
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Can I share files using my webspace?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question. If not Mods please feel free to move it.

I have 256Mb of standard webspace (inherited from an earlier account as I'm not a business user). I would like to use it to share a 215Mb MPEG2 file with a family member and wondered if this is possible. In all the years I've had the webspace I've never attempted to use it so have no idea what I need to do and as a complete novice I haven't found the help information very useful.

If anyone can confirm if this is possible and give me a step-by-step guide I should be very grateful.

9 REPLIES 9
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Can I share files using my webspace?

You would be better off using google drive, OneDrive, dropbox or similar. Certainly easier to share.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Do a Google search for Large File Transfer. There's loads of companies who will allow you transfer a file of a few gigs (or less) free of charge.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Buggwrit
Rising Star

Thank you both for your responses. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I'm not that keen on using file hosting services for security reasons. If it's not practical to use Plusnet's webspace I'd rather just use a memory stick.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

But you’re happy to share your data with Plusnet?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Buggwrit
Rising Star

I wouldn't say 'happy' but as I already have to have an account with them for my broadband using the webspace doesn't increase the risk. From what I've read some of the free hosting sites have had security issues so I prefer to avoid using them.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Tech Help 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Buggwrit   

By "sharing"  do you mean so that they can just view the files?   or do you mean for them to be able to download them to their device/computer/laptop?

One way to do both is to open a "google blog" site. 

https://www.blogger.com/about/?r=1-null_user

which is similar to a website. except yo do not have to use FTP to up load your stuff... it`s as simple as posting on this forum, or sending an email..

You can up load video... ( not sure what the limit is though )...  and your "viewers" can access them at any time... 

if they want to download them,... then they could use a simple FREE program called Ocam 

https://download.cnet.com/oCam/3000-13633_4-75758209.html

which will record video from the screen, together with the sound track if applicable.

in essence, open Ocam... set the record screen size ... click the Record button, and when finished, click the same "stop" button.... automatically saved in the Ocam folder...  you can then rename it... or reprocess it as a normal video.

Buggwrit
Rising Star

Hi shutter, thanks for your response.

What I was hoping to be able to do was simply upload the file and send a link to my recipient so that they could download it. Once they confirmed they'd got it I'd then want to delete it.

Since the family member doesn't live too far away I've decided the simplest solution will be to take it to them on a memory stick.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Buggwrit

You could use BitTorrent to transfer the file directly from yourself to your relative without uploading it anywhere else, which is something I sometimes do between myself and friends/relatives.  Using a free client such as μTorrent you would create a .torrent (very small file) linked to the file you want to send, then just send the very small .torrent file to your relative who would then open it in his own copy of μTorrent, and download it directly from you.  Creating said .torrent file usually takes only a few seconds.

Whatever you may have heard about BitTorrent  being used for illegal file-sharing can safely be ignored as in this case (and many others) it is perfectly legitimate.

Obviously if BitTorrent is unfamiliar to you then this would mean getting your head around it, but it can be a very easy and worthwhile thing to do.  Wink

EDIT: There is pretty much no limit on file-size which can be sent using this method, files can be stopped and resumed later if required without having to start again ... the list goes on.