cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have your help with this please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I have your help with this please.

OK, some of you may think that I’m reinventing the wheel but please read on, I’ve been thinking about a platform (OS) agnostic DLNA (UPnP) Client so it can be used from any device; tablet, net / note book or PC.

With this in mind I though the best option here would be to have a web (browser) based client allowing the client to be written in HTML5 with JavaScript and Web-socket support and would scale easier for differing device types.

From my current, but limited, understanding of this there are some things like service discovery, eventing that would need to be done using native code which implies some sort of server. But this doesn’t matter as we need to have an end point to deliver the web page (client) anyway so the same server could be used to run the native code.

Another advantage of this server based approach is that we support so that the UPnP events can be dispatched to the client, save play lists, drive the indexing requests and even upload new content.

I’m willing to do the native server code in C++, but I’d need help with the Web UI design, HTML5, CSS and Client side Web Socket code.

So the question is would you be interested in contributing to this project as can’t do it all myself I simply don’t have the skill set. If you are then please let me know but I should point out that you will (ideally) need to have :

A linux, Pi or Windows machine with build tools so you can compile the server source code (via git) for your own use / testing. This isn't mandatory but would make life easier.

A linux, Pi or Windows machine running a Web Server (Apache?), can of course be the same machine as above.

A code editor that supports Git, or a Git client to allow you to commit your contributions so others can make use of them and of course pull theirs.

If you’ve read this far thanks, so if you have any ideas, thoughts please post below.

9 REPLIES 9
TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Can I have your help with this please.

Sadly I don't have the skills to be able to contribute to this project.

I'm thinking, though, that if the client is the most important part, it may be possible to use (or adapt) one of the existing cross-platform servers already out there? 

Just thinking out loud...Roll_eyes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input, I've looked at some of those links but quite a few of them don't work and some are ancient as well, but recycling an existing server would make sense, but the source is not available from some of them either. Ideally the less code there is to be done the better.

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro

UniversalMediaServer looks promising; cross-platform, open source, still under development, and has a web interface.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're not wrong, it looks very good, but it's written in Java so that's where it ends for me, having already uninstalled both the JRE and JDK some time ago, I've no intention of going backward. But again, thanks for the input.

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro

@Anonymous wrote:

but it's written in Java so that's where it ends for me

I just knew you were going to say that! Grin

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@Anonymous wrote:

OK, some of you may think that I’m reinventing the wheel but please read on, I’ve been thinking about a platform (OS) agnostic DLNA (UPnP) Client so it can be used from any device; tablet, net / note book or PC.

Are you sure you want this?

Not many products support HTML - my TV doesn't, anyway!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I think its the way to go, Agreed, not every product supports HTML, but if you have a smart TV, or anything that has a browser built in then it does, and should be capable of supporting the service. If you don't have a smart TV then you can't use it anyway.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My TV supports DLNA - so I download videos onto my PC & run a DLNA server on the PC.

I would expect any TV that claims to be "Smart" to support running as a DLNA client.

Since my TV and PC are wired into the same ethernet switch, this requires minimal support from the router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing wrong with that as that is the intended use after all, I can’t help but get the feeling I am missing something here!