cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I connect my old XP just by USB to my Win7 to deep search the XP hard disk?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can I connect my old XP just by USB to my Win7 to deep search the XP hard disk?

Since I acquired my Win7 computer the old XP has been sitting in a cupboard. Recently we realised that some pics were missing that were taken when the XP was in use. I want to do a recovery search.
Without powering the old computer or whatever could I successfully connect it to the Win7 and search the old hard disk, as if it were an external drive?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Can I connect my old XP just by USB to my Win7 to deep search the XP hard disk?

You could remove the hard drive and use a USB drive caddy to connect it to the new PC (make sure the caddy is the right type for the disk - SATA or PATA).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Can I connect my old XP just by USB to my Win7 to deep search the XP hard disk?

Caddies are "cheap as chips" and many support both IDE & SATA.
For a "quick fix" you just need the adapter/power cables, not even a box or carrier as such, so even cheaper. Under £10 on eBay with power supply, under £5 without.
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190526544554?
Luzern
Hero

@HPS. So no caddy required? How would the adapter and the computers fit together? The hard dsk has to be removed from the XP's tower?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: lucerne
The hard dsk has to be removed from the XP's tower?
Obviously.  Roll_eyes
Luzern
Hero

Thanks! And you must really do something about those twitchy eyes. Grin
HPsauce
Pro

Well you might just manage without removing the drive and just disconnecting the cable(s), but you need to open the box anyway and the cables probably wouldn't reach.
Luzern
Hero

I see that there are such things as usb a/a bridge cables, or something like that. Are they another realistic possibility?
HPsauce
Pro

Not relevant. There's no USB access to the drive inside the old PC.