Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling all Canon Pixma users.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Calling all Canon Pixma users.

Help!

More often than not and despite trying to find my way around settings, when I scan a document it gets saved as a PDF file and for some reason I cannot then edit it. 

Any clues guys before I put the thing in the bin.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Calling all Canon Pixma users.

A bit more information would be appreciated @Minivanman, such as what are you using to scan the image?

Does the camera have a USB point in it that you can connect direct to your PC?

Edit:- No it doesn't because it's a PRINTER!

Minivanman
Legend

I'm scanning direct from the printer to my computer?

Either auto, document, photo or custom scan are the options given but all produce a PDF file. Not every time, but most times which is the real puzzle.

I am fast losing patience (which I have little of) with the damn thing. Knuppel 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I can't guarantee this @Minivanman at the moment, but I seem to recall there is an option in the scanning screen to specify how the image is saved.

I'll have a look later when my visitors have gone and get back to you - if you can wait.

How are you scanning - the scan button on the printer, or via the on-screen scan utility (IJ ScanUtility)?

John
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Try this https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART108777 ( OCR scanning using MP Navigator EX for Windows ). I've just followed it step for step on my Pixma and it works but the output isn't exceptional.

edit to add title of help page 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Minivanman

Looking on Google, for "free pdf editor"... it appears that there is a Chrome app,... however, you can also have a read of this page

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/software/how-edit-pdf-for-free-3653069/

It mentions that Libre Office has one as standard

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just checked my Pixma.... the options/settings on a scan are jpg  pdf   compressed pdf  or TIFF .. can`t find any other file type options.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Scans are images and so cannot be edited in the way that you desire, no matter what format they are saved in.  If it's a .pdf file them it's just a picture book.  What you need is some software that performs Optical Character Recognition (OCR) which will attempt to convert an image into editable text.  It used to be standard practice for scanner manufacturers to bundle some OCR software, typically sourced from a third party.  But this seems to be going out of fashion.  I have not kept track of what Canon are doing.  @SpendLessTime has the right idea, I would imagine.  

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My pixma is just a laser printer & it can print PDF files but it never scans anything. Cry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for all you inputs guys, and I think I have it sorted now with those settings as it seems there are a second lot that needed to be accessed. 

Thumbs_Up

Herman Melville
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I have a PIXMA 895, and scan & save to pdf; however, I have full version of Adobe Professional so can edit
away. As others have said various 3rd party pdf editors are available.
Mav
Fixes: 514

An excellent pdf editor is PDF-Exchange Viewer.

You can't actually edit the text directly but there are many tools to get around this and it is great for filling in pdf forms.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

paul_blitz
Rising Star

Scanners simply scan to an image. Depending on what software you use to scan, you can save it in various formats, but whatever the format, it is always just an image.

The Cannon software should install a twain driver: in my case, in PaintShopPro, I can then do a file / scan, chose the scanner, and scan the image into PSP, and edit it.

To get something in text format, you need some OCR software - my cannon printer / scanner came with this. The software gets you to scan an image in (think it also lets you also use a pre-scanned image too), then tries to convert it to text. I say "tries" as sometimes the results seem like it's in Polish rather than English! Usually it's not too bad though.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Unless you spend many £1,000's OCR is a waste of time.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

paul_blitz
Rising Star

The problem with OCR is it is very dependent on the original materials, and the font used. If you have a clean scan, in a modern font, you can get very acceptable results with the freebie s/w that comes with a modern scanner. However, if it's from an old dot-matrix printer, and the scan has a lot of noise on, then the "cheap OCR" will struggle (and I say that last bit from experience!).

Isn't that the case with many things though: a thin piece of string will work to hold up a long pole, as long as it's not windy, and you only need to hold it up for a short while. The more expensive solution would, of course, give a stronger and longer-term solution.