cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet of Curosity

sdfranks
Grafter

Cabinet of Curosity

This is of no real importance: but I'd love to understand...
I thought I was on cabinet 61 of the MYMOO exchange. SamKnows said so, and the nearest cabinet to my house had "61" chalked on it during last year (while FTTC was rolling out). Perhaps not court-worthy proof, but it seemed to be consistent.
My line was finally enabled for FTTC January/February, and I signed up straight away. My cabinet, however, remained untouched: not upgraded and no second cabinet appeared. Since my FTTC was (and is!) working fine, I thought I must be mistaken about the 61 somehow.
Now a shiny new cabinet has been installed right next to the old one. So what is that all about? How did I get FTTC if my cabinet wasn't upgraded? Or alternatively, will this new cabinet give me anything new? Or is my understanding all wrong?
As I say, this is only curiosity. But I spent three years waiting impatiently for FTTC from first expected live date for my line, and during that time I read a lot about how it worked. I thought I understood.  Huh
Thanks
Stephen
6 REPLIES 6
All4One
Grafter

Re: Cabinet of Curosity

I presume if it wasn't touched, you were connecting to another cabinet close by on another street.
If they do switch you over to the cabinet located on your street and let's say that's 50metres closer to your property than the other, there's less copper cable between the cab and premises for any loss quality meaning you may see a LITTLE speed increase.
This is a presumption Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The BT Wholesale Availability Checker was changed not very long ago, and now tells you which cabinet you're connected to.
sdfranks
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the replies.
The new Openreach site says I am on cabinet 62. I guess they ought to know... I wonder where that is. The nearest "new" cabinet I can find (before this latest arrival) is just over half a mile away. Interestingly that does seem to be about right: if I read the Profile graphs correctly, that would give me the ~35Mbps I actually see. Maybe that is 62, and SamKnows was wrong.
Assuming that is so, it would be nice if I got switched. The new cabinet is less than 100m from my house (even allowing for cable routes). That would get me near enough the full speed.  Cheesy
I wonder if there is any chance of getting switched? Or if I can ask somehow?
Actually I am still chuffed at getting my 35Mbps. Even after a few months, I'm not yet used to being able to use iPlayer, or download a Linux release without waiting overnight.  Cool Not that I'd turn down a bit more speed, of course...
Thanks again, and if anyone happens to know more about this cabinet confusion, please feel free to enlighten me!
Stephen

All4One
Grafter

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it would be down to Openreach if they decided to switch this for you. They could possibly just turn round and say nope, new cabinet is for any new connections.
I can't see the harm in contacting OR and asking if they have any information about re-wiring you?
Fingers crossed for you mate. Crazy
All4One
Grafter

Just had a look at my cabinet compared to my girlfriend's.
We're literally 10minute walk away, down a hill, across bottom and up a hill. Exchange is closer to her and estimated speeds:
WBC FTTC Up to 57.2 Up to 15.7
WBC FTTC Up to 80 Up to 20
Massive difference but to be honest, I wouldn't mind either. ADSL2+ for the time being as waiting to get our own place.
Girlfriend likes the cottage surrounded by fields - Exchange search shows up to 8Mbps max which means 3miles from exchange, probably max speed of 2 hahaha - no chance.
I need fibre enabled for my youtube and streaming!!!
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: All4One
it would be down to Openreach if they decided to switch this for you. They could possibly just turn round and say nope, new cabinet is for any new connections.
I can't see the harm in contacting OR and asking if they have any information about re-wiring you?

The likelyhood is that they won't rewire,  or if they do consider it,  it won't be cheap.
Things like this occur as estates get built out, and new cabinets are installed to serve newer properties.
I've had a similar issue before,  I'm on a line 4.5km long to the central exchange in town, despite being 0.5km from a different exchange.
Unfortunately,  that exchange was built after the estate I'm on was completed.