cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU usage/main.exe

Not applicable

CPU usage/main.exe

Just been dealing with someone's computer which is an elderly XP desktop.
He had put Norton on a few weeks ago and it was really struggling with it so I have thoroughly eradicated the thing and am now using free security - Avast for AV.
Now the CPU is better but still peaking 50% and above sometimes, even when nothing is going on.
One process that is using a fair bit is main.exe. Have googled it and there are some reports of it being spyware. One report said that it wasn't spyware and just to leave it.
However, it was not flagged up by Norton and I did a full scan with SAS before removing Norton and this didn't complain about it either. There were some tracking cookies and one suspected item which I quarantined.
Can someone tell me for definite, is this spyware or not?
In the morning I shall download Malwarebytes and check again unless someone can tell me different.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: CPU usage/main.exe

The Google search I ran said it is either a part of Spycop http://www.spycop.com/ or a Trojan.  Either way, I don't think you want it (given that you are running another anti virus program). 
Not applicable

Yes, I read this too but am a bit afraid of messing things up by terminating the process.
I have searched for it but can only find prefetch file so not sure how to delete.
I am wondering if I download a copy of Spycop and remove it properly with Revo Uninstaller, it might get rid of it legitimately.
There is also a reference to SpyHunter - it says that it does detect it but you have to pay for removal.
Am just scanning with Avast - it has found further bugs so I don't know why Norton didn't flag these up.
After this I will have a go with MBAM and see where we go from there.
Thank you for trying to help.
Not applicable

MBAM hasn't flagged it up and neither has Spywaredoctor so I am thinking that this isn't the prorat trojan that is indicated as a possiblity.
Just scanning with Lavasoft Adaware and if this doesn't throw anything up I had better leave it I think.
Don't want to mess things up as the computer is working very well now that Norton is off and it has been cleaned up.
There are no obvious signs of infection and the CPU usage is mostly low at 0% to 2% when computer is idle.
I can't remove it anyway as the search facility is not finding it.    Huh
Not applicable

Problem resolved!  Cheesy
Have installed Ashampoo free firewall as it is said to be lighter on system resources than ZA, and this is an older machine with only 512 MB of RAM.
It displays active processes and explains what they are and whether they should or shouldn't be terminated,
The one in question, main.exe is actually part of Philips Device Manager which in turn is part of Philips Audio Player.
I would uninstall it but as it isn't my machine will leave alone.
David_W
Rising Star

With that kind of rig, maybe you could convince them to convert to the dark side that is Linux Wink  They should see performance gains and I'd guess they don't use it for games, so having Linux on it would let them do emails, internet etc.. without the need for security software running in the background clogging up CPU/RAM.
Not applicable

Actually I did stick Ubuntu in to try it as a live CD but it didn't offer to boot from disk when I pressed F12 and I couldn't be bothered to change things is BIOS.
It's no use putting another OS on as it just creates extra work for yourself when they come back needing to know how to operate it and where things are. Also, they have children who use Windows at school.
I have stopped the main.exe process from Administrative tools, taken it out of start up and stopped another resource-hogging process and now it is much much better.
Makes you appreciate Linux!