cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONECTIVITY using a SMART TV

jnrspoon

CONECTIVITY using a SMART TV

Has anyone had any problems connecting to a SMART TV? I have a Polaroid 3-32-LED-14 and have recently joined plusnet.
Bearing in mind that four other devices (a PS4, an iPhone, a Nexus tablet and a Samsung phone) have all connected effortlessly I cannot for the life of me get my tv to connect. It detects the router, asks for the password, then displays 'Please wait' for about ten seconds and thats it, nothing. I telephoned the helpline for the product (Polaroid is now owned by ASDA so it's them you get through to) but was told 'well to be honest there's not really much ya can do'. SERIOUSLY???  Angry
It's driving me mad so if anyone has any advice on IP inputs/static, dynamic/DNS etc. i'd love to hear it pleeeease!
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: CONECTIVITY using a SMART TV

Hi, There were some problems a while ago with panasonic smart Tv's not getting IP addresses from the router, it might be worth trying to set a static IP on the TV as indicated in that thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122172.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I use Powerine adaptors and connect to the Ethernet port.  No passwords required.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Duplicate post in Other Queries removed
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

ReedRichards - What an incredibly helpful reply...   Roll_eyes  The OP's TV doesn't appear to have an ethernet socket (according to the spec)
jnrspoon - If setting a staic IP doesn't sort it for you, what wifi channel is your router using and have you tried (temporarily, as a test) turning off wifi authentication?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Oops.  I thought all 'smart' TVs would have an Ethernet socket.
The reason I adopted this solution myself was that my 'smartish' TV did not have built-in wireless but was supposed to take a wireless adaptor.  So I bought a cheap one but I could never get the TV to remember the wireless settings after I switched it off.  With wireless you can face a lot of hassle with passwords and signal strength whereas the use of power-line adaptors, which are very cheap these days, should give a solution straight out the box (Ethernet port permitting).  So although my suggestion was a 'workaround', I was trying to be helpful.   
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

which model of tv is this exactly?
the things I've read about it suggest its wifi connectivity is through a usb dongle rather than built in (but that could just be asda's poor web listings..)
also you don't mention if your router is broadcasting the SSID, if its not then change that setting and see if it magically works
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you