Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COM PORTS

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

COM PORTS

Is it possible for a COM port to be closed & if so where in the registery would you go to open it.
My problem is that I am trying to update some software on my DVD player  (Humax PVR)
Have got the necessary files and a USB to RS232 Null cable to transfer the software.
The cable shows up in the COM port as  USB-serial  CH340 (COM 3) but in no way will it try to transfer the file.
I Have been on the Humax website, Digital Spy & AV forums but have come to the conclusion the problem rests with my computer.
Drivers came with the cable and there are no yellow or red flags in Device manager.
Anyone got any ideas ?
Using Windows XP
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: COM PORTS

What software are you using that is accessing the port?
(that could be the limitation if it will only access "real" serial ports)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Looks like a few people have had problems with similar CH340 units getting the correct drivers , have you seen this ?
http://www.davesdrivers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=130&page=5

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I'm amazed to see something still being sold with an RS232 port - I thought they had been phased out years ago.  They were always temperamental and awkward when used for instrument control.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Have given up on the CH 340 and ordered a prolific chip set so hopefully that will do the trick.
No option about using the Com port as the DVD has a RS 232 connection (what a nightmare)
We are born into history and history is born into us.