Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCleaner wipe free space option

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

CCleaner wipe free space option

As I am changing my computer, I am trying to make the current one as safe as I can without the heavy hammer.
Someone advised me that CCleaner's wipe free space option would to the trick, but when I scanned with Recuva several files were still recoverable. As the file extensions are strange ( see attached) have they been ignored by CCleaner purposely, or is CCleaner inadequate?

Maybe they are essential files? ? ? ? ?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
4 REPLIES 4
mentalist3d
Grafter

Re: CCleaner wipe free space option

It really depends on what settings you have chosen in CCleaner. If you are using the default settings, some of the files will still be recoverable. If you want to completely remove them open CCleaner and got to Options > Settings
Then there is a section named Secure Deletion, make sure the option Secure File Deletion (slower) option is selected and then from the drop down menu select the number of passes (the higher the number the longer it will take to delete your files and will lessen the chance of your files being recovered)
Anything sent to the Recycle Bin and emptied from there is recoverable. A techie told me that if you want to permantly remove a file, select the file to be deleted, hold the shift key and hit delete. This is supposed to remove files permantly from your system with no chance of recovery, don't know how true this is though, but I do know that the file will bypass the Recycle Bin.
Luzern
Hero

Thanks for that. Smiley
I see that there is an option to wipe MFT free space, Should I use the option, and under what circumstances?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
mentalist3d
Grafter

To be honest, I can't say, I'm running an older version of CCleaner and I've never noticed that option.
OK, out of curiosity I've done a Google search and MFT is related to NTFS drives and seems to keep a record of all your files, sizes, time/date file was created etc. http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/tips/jsi-tip-0487-what-is-the-mft-master-file-table-and-how-can-...
I also noticed a couple of forum posts mentioning bugs known about the wipe MFT free space:
http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=27038
http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=27026
I think what happens is when you delete a file, the file is still referenced in the MFT which takes up space, and so wiping MFT free space should reduce the size of the MFT as well as removing the reference to files that have already been deleted.
Luzern
Hero

Thanks. I interpret as wiping MFT is not harmful.