cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCleaner Advice

Not applicable

CCleaner Advice

Don't laugh (I am always anxious about deleting things) but after hearing folk say that CCleaner is the bees knees I have finally downloaded it after reading all the blurb on the website. I have always used Windows cleaning utilities and after having a go with CC I have managed to clean about 60-odd MB of rubbish in a fraction of the time it usually takes.
On the Windows tab I had IE/Windows Explorer and System ticked.  On the Applications tab I only had Firefox/Mozilla ticked.
Can I safely tick the rest now?  I was a bit unsure because Applications included AVG and Defender and all the rest. 
Is there anything I should not tick?  I just want a bit of reassurance.  I am leaving the registry section until I am a bit more confident.
11 REPLIES 11
greyposter
Grafter

Re: CCleaner Advice

I do and cc always asks if you want to make a backup,so click yes.
God
Grafter

I have used ccleaner on XP and Vista; both Cleaner and Registry regularly for months without problems. This includes Vista pre and post sp1.  I think you can be confident it is pretty safe.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I use ccleaner as an emergency backup to OneCare.
I think that Microsoft's own registry cleaner is the one to use first.......
(but sometimes you just can't run it  Sad )
samuria
Grafter

The key to everything is having a backup of everything you need. The fact you are unsure if you can clean safely suggest you dont have a backup.
Look first to backing up your vital stuff and when you have a good backup you can feel safe letting it delete stuff
God
Grafter

I have also been using the 'Eusing' free registry cleaner as that seems more comprehensive than ccleaners registry tool. Again this seems to work well on both XP and vista without any problem. If you want to take a look it is here:
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm
BenG
Grafter

Hi, poppy
I use CCleaner, my self along side with Window Washer, you can tick most of the items, don't worry about it deleteing things you need, becuase the program will only delete the Junk files. eg old temp files, or log files and old backup files. so it safe to tick them, however if you are unsare, as someone said above you can use a backup. It may also be good to create a restore point in windows. as well, I do that in most cases.
As for cleaning the Registry there are a lot of tools around, some have lots of options and can be complex, the one I use is very simple called RegCleaner it also free.
http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm
It also have a backup so you can restore eveything, if you unsure. anyway hope that may help a little.
Not applicable

Thank you for all the advice and reassurance. I do have not just one, but two backups of all my documents/bookmarks/pictures etc on DVD/USB key.  I also have a restore disk and leave System Restore to work in the background (i.e. I don't delete restore points). so I should be OK.  The main thing is that my computer works so well (yes, it is Vista) that I don't want to mess things up.
I assume that it only asks to make a backup when using the registry cleaner (I haven't used this yet).
I will now try ticking the remaining boxes in the Cleaning section (Windows and Applications). 
HPsauce
Pro

The Microsoft OneCare registry cleaner takes a System Restore Point before making changes.
Not applicable

Have finally made progress with the registry cleaner in CCleaner by ticking each box individually and using the backup feature.
No problems so far.
I only have one box to clear now - the unused file extensions.
Just wanted to know what this is and although I will make a backup, are there any snags with deleting these?
minkey
Rising Star

File extensions are the ending of your file names eg .txt for notepad .doc for word .mp3 for music etc etc.
The unused ones are left overs from when you uninstall a program but the file extension remains in the registry. There will be no problems getting rid of those, and they are really easy to put back if on the unlikely event of you needing it. If you reinstall the program it will put back the extensions anyway.
HTH
Jeff
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply - will now go ahead and finish the job.