cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTV

Peterxrm
Grafter

CCTV

Hi  I am having probs with 4 wireless Foscam cams that are eventually to connect wireless to my pc. On advice from cam manufacturers I am using Win XP. I have tried 4 different wireless routers and all give the same problem. In that all the cams work aok thro any of the routers to my wireless pc>But I can only get 1 cam to work wireless-others are not found by the cam software (finds them hard wired) I have a dynamic IP would a static IP address help? Or should I be looking for other routes to go down?
Thanks in advance for help.
Peter
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: CCTV

It sounds very much as if your camera software is a bit naff.  For example, since the cameras connect wirelessly to your router and then the router connects to the PC, you might suppose that the version of Windows you are using should not make much odds.
I would try setting each camera to a (diffferent) static IP address outside the range allocated dynamically by the router.  I don't see that it will matter what IP address your computer has so long as it doesn't clash. 
Peterxrm
Grafter

Hi thanks for advice-I tried re-assigning ip addresses but sadly still the same-I also think the camera software is naff. I will have another go with the manufacturers - they have asked me to try lots of tests but no joy.
any other hints/tips /wrinkles appreciated
Thanks again
Peter
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Don't know if it will work for you but I once worked in a place that used software called indigovision for their outdoor cameras and things. It seemed capable working with IP cams as far as I could tell. It could also support multiple cameras but I've no idea about wifi cams (though it shouldn't make any difference as long as they have IP's).
Probably expensive.. but bundled software is always useless.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Peterxrm
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. The object with these cameras are that they are supposed to work thro your pc/Win XP and then can be made available to view remote.  They did initially all work wireless together on first set up but somehow they have now screwed up. The option of a 'factory' reset has not brought them back to that status.
They work a treat hard wired and one cam will work wireless in the software system.
Peter
seanbranagh
Grafter

I know it is a bit late since you already have the IP cameras.
umediaserver.net produce software for encoding, streming, recording any video source. The software is fantastic, very simple to use and free (with small limatitions).
Their Live Server software runs on a computer with any sort of video input (IP cameras also, I think). It then goes to their media server software (can be installed on the same physical computer). From there it can be distributed wherever you want using their streming media player, Windows media player etc. or even on a web page with flash.
I think this software was originally intended for security cameras but the company I work for uses our own modified version to distribute live sport pictures from our sites around the world to hundreds of clients around the world via a network of servers installed with the umedia software.
Peterxrm
Grafter

Thanks for the response-appreciated.
However I have now managed to have the cams up and all running wireless aok. All I can say it was a pilot error and understanding the requirements of the system. I have managed to get cams working thro 4 different makes of router.
I will try the software you have suggested.
Peterxrm