cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTV Remote Viewing

SanjHere

CCTV Remote Viewing

Hello All,

I am new here so apologise if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

I have a problem with viewing my CCTV remotely, the fault is unusual as I have been using the same cameras and dvr for the last 3 years with no problems. The only thing that has changed is the router. The problem seems to occur 30-60 minutes after the Router-Setup page is closed on my computer.
I changed from Sky to PlusNet .The viewing of the CCTV via internal Wi-Fi is not a problem and that seems to work properly.
When on the Router Settings page, the ports that I forwarded are showing as open on canyouseeme. After I close down the router Settings page, I can still use my 4G Data to view remotely but this stops after 30-60 minutes and I get a "Server Unavailable" message on my App. I check the ports again on canyouseeme and they are showing as "closed".
Has anyone else experienced this problem before or can someone advise me as to what might be causing the problem?
Thank you in advance,
Sanj
33 REPLIES 33
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: CCTV Remote Viewing

which router do you have
SanjHere

Hello Jim,
It's a 2704n ADSL modem.
SanjHere

Good Evening,
Can anyone help or assist me with this problem? I have tried trouble shooting but that has not helped.
The Plusnet Router homepage is now causing me problems as well. When clicking on the Router homepage tab, I am getting the error message, webpage not found. I have tried taking the Router back to Factory Settings and starting again but that has not helped either one of the problems.
Thank you.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have you had a look here....http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/plusnet-2704n-advanced.shtml#portForward scrolling down to the Port Forwarding link on the right.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SanjHere

Hello Strat,
Thank you for replying.
Yes, I have had a read of that and checked all the settings on the Router and App. I have forwarded the ports required for the DVR and applied them.
I also forwarded the ports for the other ISP and Router that I had.
The strange thing is the settings will work for 30 minutes to an hour then the ports seem to "close" although the ports are still showing as "applied" on the port forwarding tab. So, I can view "remotely" via other Wi-Fi networks and 4g for an hour or so then the App tells me the server is not available.
On the Router Settings page, I am also now getting webpage not available on the Home Tab.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

From what I can recall this was the procedure I followed for configuring my IPcam for external access on that router successfully.
Sorry it didn't work for you.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SanjHere

Hello Strat,
I have had to do this a few times for myself, family and friends as the CCTV camera kits are now cheap, the system configuration work is the difficult part but I have never had this problem before.
The ports appear open when I "apply" and add the device on the Port Forwarding page but something is changing/ blocking them again.
It's been a week now and I can't figure it out! Sad
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Sounds like a defective router to me  it does happen. We had one that kept dropping it's WiFi connection. Pm sent out another and it's been fine. It drops the Internet every week or so but we can live with that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jamieravenall

Hi can any 1 help please I have cctv and worked fine with Sky before .. I'm now on plus net and I cannot get it to work as cannot use remote viewing all port alication? I do have static ip can any 1 please guid me please thanks 

TSS24
Hooked

Hi all,

I would welcome some technical support frm the "chief geeks" out there.

Simply I need to Port forward 80 and 50100 (TCP and UDP) on my router to my CCTV DVR system. I have set this up on the Router SAGEMCOM 2704 no problem.

I have also got a Dynamic DNS service "PowerDDNS" up and running to keep the DHCP ISP IP-fixed to a DNS name.

I then use http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check the PORTS are "Open" and they come back CLOSED each time.!!

But then  Port Checker it works suddenly, at random times!!

I have fixed the Internal LAN Ip-dress of the CCTV DVR to 192.168.1.1and everything WORKS OK from the LAN. Ie forma PC on the internal LAN.

Problem is when I use SMARTEYESPRO CCTV viewer on my Iphone, AGAIN it is 'hit and miss' if it works over 3G/4G.

I have checked the PlusNet On-line Firewall via my account switched off and only got Norton Security doing usual stuff (anti virus, Malware, windows firewall control etc..)

Please, please, please help?? I just want it to work via my mobile over 3G/4G, so I can use CCTV when away from home Sad

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you thought of getting a static IP address?

It's a one-off charge of £5.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If using DDNS, I personally can't see the need for a Fixed public IP address unless it happens to be a cheaper or better option. It isn't however going to make the slightest difference, as I understand it, to which ports appear open at various times!.

Port forwarding on the 2704n is, something that people discovered when it first came out, not a simple thing compared to other normal routers. Some of the issues appeared to be related to the devices appearing as "unknown". Sometimes these were resolved by allocating such devices a fixed local IP on the LAN. The other aspect as I understood it is that if there is a pre-existing port-forwarding rule for particular ports, that rule must be edited, you cannot simply create another rule using the same ports.

Logging into the (modem)/router as http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html gives access to greater ability to configure the router.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Anotherone wrote:

If using DDNS, I personally can't see the need for a Fixed public IP address unless it happens to be a cheaper or better option. It isn't however going to make the slightest difference, as I understand it, to which ports appear open at various times!.

Assuming they are open in the first place!

Using a static IP rules out one possible cause of failure.

Lurch
Rising Star

@Anotherone wrote:

I think at one time of day that was probably reasonably true but there are lot of DDNS services provided FoC with DVRs these days and I am not convinced that they are overly reliable, I have used several and have not found any information on any of them (making it difficult to check performance/reliability etc) and have had occasions where the remote connections are iffy or just simply don't work. If you are connecting to your static IP address you can rule out any DDNS related issues.

So I would always recommend that a static IP should be used where possible. Some ISPs just flat out refuse to issue one so the Plusnet offering for a fixed one-off £5 is ideal for remote CCTV viewing. If all my customers had a static IP I would have a much easier life!

Maybe the OP can temporarily connect via the current IP address for testing purposes if they are really against spending the fiver for a static IP. This might be a way of ruling out any DDNS issues as long as the router isn't rebooted in the meantime.