Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTV - P2P ???

stdavidsavenue
Hooked

CCTV - P2P ???

Hi y'all

Recently joined Plusnet for Broadband, using their wifi router which seems to be quite good for signal strength.

Anyway, I have also recently had CCTV installed which is fully setup to be viewed through any tv in the house and directly connected into the router for viewing on my smart phone when out and about.

The app needed to view on my smart phone is set up and can view the cctv but only when within the range of my wifi router. If I'm out and about the app/phone cant connect or view the cctv.

Spoke to the tech guy who installed and he said I need P2P forwarding and a static Address,  No idea what where or how I get these so any help would be fantastic.   I'm not really up to speed with techie lingo so could someone explain what I need to do simply. 

Thanks guys! Smiley

7 REPLIES 7
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: CCTV - P2P ???

you need to open ports on your router to allow incoming connections.
you will also need a static IP address from plusnet if you want to be able to actually connect to it (it'll cost you £5) - if you don't want to pay that then you'll need a DynDNS provider.
stdavidsavenue
Hooked

Update...

Got a static IP Address from Plusnet.

Checked Broadband firewall in my account / members centre to which its turned off.

So all being well I should now be able to view the CCTV  (when the tech guy comes back later this week)

chenks76
All Star

you'll still need to open ports on your router (this isn't the same as the plusnet firewall).
stdavidsavenue
Hooked

See I told you I'm not much with tech haha

Can I change this setting myself or do I need to speck with plusnet team to open ports? 

chenks76
All Star

you would need to do it yourself
stdavidsavenue
Hooked

Thanks for the info Smiley

Ill let you know how I get on.

stdavidsavenue
Hooked

Hi again guys!
Trying to port forward on my router, typed in the router address which brings me to the plusnet connection status screen where there's buttons for settings.
I can click on the buttons but nothing happens and can not type in my router password to gain access.

Have I missed anything? Help please Smiley