cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA VMN Toolbar

Not applicable

CA VMN Toolbar

I have some smilies that were given to me by a friend. They opened with Internet Explorer by default (now changed it to FF) and they wanted to install the VMN toolbar.
Much to my surprise it installed itself with no action from me. Kaspersky did not flag it up and neither did IE or user account control in W7.
I disabled the addon and used Revo to uninstall. Rebooted and it was still there so had another go and this time Revo picked up registry keys so I deleted those and did a CCleaner clear up of files and registry.
I have changed the association and they now open with FF and no problem. Am just scanning with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and nothing has shown up so far.  Question is, can anyone explain how come it installed itself so easily?  I don't usually use IE but is there anything else that I could have done to prevent this happening?
I understand from googling that it is not spyware.  Huh
9 REPLIES 9
Denzil
Grafter

Re: CA VMN Toolbar

It is up to the programmer of the application whether they give you the option whether to install these toolbars, or even to tell you about it at all. It is also why it is always a good idea to select the custom installation option, if there is one, with any freeware, so that you will be offered the choice.
Still, some applications just don't give you the choice. The installer has to have rights to install itself, so it can use those same rights to install add-ons in Firefox.
Comodo have a thing called Defence Plus, which comes with their security package, and I think can be installed on its own. This monitors everything that tries to install, or directly access memory, or access important system files, and asks you if you want to allow them. It is a bit intrusive, though, and I turned mine off as it was asking stuff all the time.
Now if you had been using Linux and not Windows... [runs and hides  ;D]
Not applicable

Well, you are correct about Linux as when I use my Ubuntu laptop I always use Firefox (as I do with Windows 7).  As mentioned in my post, this only happened with IE. Soon as I'd changed the association to FF they opened OK and the thing didn't install itself. It would seem that Firefox is a better bet than the latest IE security-wise.
It was odd though because each time I clicked on one of them, it displayed but crashed IE.  This happened just a few times then it didn't crash but installed the toolbar instead. 
I still can't get my head around how something like this can get past my security so easily, particularly the user account control. It's rather worrying TBH.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
It was odd though because each time I clicked on one of them, it displayed but crashed IE.  This happened just a few times then it didn't crash but installed the toolbar instead.   

This is indicative of a page exploiting a security vulnerability to install software, such as toolbars, without prompting the user. 
IE is the largest target for these, and it really does show that just *visiting* a website can infect your computer with any type of nasty malware/virus.
B.
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the explanation Barry - much appreciated as I was puzzling my brain about it.  As I said, I don't use IE as a rule but my friend obviously does and that is probably why these smilies were associated with it.
It would seem that the problem had nothing to do with them but was due to security of the browser. I haven't downloaded anything other than Windows updates this morning.
I think that maybe I should use my Ubuntu lappy more for Internet.
Is there anything else that I should do security-wise other than not use IE?  I thought that Kaspersky was up to the mark but now not so sure.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

In Kaspersky go to ''Scan My Computer" then, down at the bottom, "Open Vulnerability Scan Window".  Run the vulnerability scan (if you have not already done so).
However take the results with a pinch of salt because what Kaspersky finds is sometimes an old copy of an application that has already been updated.
Not applicable

Thank you for that. I had scanned my vulnerabilities earlier today just after I finished the full scan.
It showed up Flash, Foxit and Irfanview as needing to be updated so have done this.
Also the autorun function so have fixed those.
All that is left is on the attachment and it seems that there is no need to fix these.
Hopefully, won't have the problem again but will steer well clear of IE.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

What was the file extension for these 'smilies'?  If you have not yet changed the Windows default, open Explorer, then Organise - Folder and Search Options - View and remove the check mark against 'Hide extensions for known file types'.
Not applicable

Just little GIF images. I do have the hide extensions for known file types tick in the box.
Here's one which is quite apt for some of our more excitable members:

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: poppy
Is there anything else that I should do security-wise other than not use IE?  I thought that Kaspersky was up to the mark but now not so sure.

Hide or delete the icon that starts IE.
Tell your friend to use Firefox.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."