Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C & D Drives

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: C & D Drives

Yes, there is a recovery partition on the hdd... but I wanted to keep all the current stuff on there, which the recovery would have removed on formatting C;/  i.e the progs and stuff on C:/  ( not sure if that  format would have affected D:/ partition as well though )...
so.. have got the DVD disc in a external dvd drive and it is showing "Windows is loading files"  like a clean install..... but this is on the spare hdd.. not the original that I was querying about...
One further question... I am assuming when this "install" starts up, it will give me the option of installing alongside the existing OS  ( Vista ),... or complete new install only,.. and ask me for partition sizes... what would you recommend is the best size for Windows 7  STARTER...? ( the remainder would be for the D;/ drive I suspect...)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It is not ordinarily possible to install Windows 7 Starter from a disc (although if you tamper with the installation disc it can be done).  Whatever you are loading, it is not the Starter version of Windows 7 so it will only run for 30 days without a valid product key.
Also, USB is slower than SATA so if you want a faster computer it's not a very good idea to install your OS on an external hard drive.
I don't really understand what you are ultimately trying to achieve.  Of the "stuff" on your C: drive, you can keep your files by making a backup copy but you cannot keep your programs if you install a new version of Windows 7, however or wherever you do it.    
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if you run the recovery tool it *might* have an option to leave the d drive alone but a lot of those things perform a full factory reset including resizing any(all) drive partitions, I've had some "fun" playing about with laptops over the last few years and  it was always simpler to delete the "D" partition and enlarge the c partition to that size immediately after performing the factory reset, (simple enough from the drop down commands in disk manager built into windows)
if you have any file downloads of programs then back them up to a memory stick before you to the factory reset.

as an aside, have you tried booting into safe mode with networking enabled and then connecting to a site like trend micro's house call and running a full scan ? (its free if your not aware of it) and changing the default options to perform scans on the boot sector as well as everything else ?
it might just save you some hassle though to download and install the mcafee trial product (if you don't get it for free from plusnet), if you already have mcafee or Norton or similar search for removal tool and perform a full uninstall and then reinstall the latest version of the software often they cause problems that you can only detect via the command console event viewer when doing program updates (because they are essentially unable to provide an all in one product for all platforms)
just as a thought
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, and advice.... I may have done something "naughty"... but I have installed a spare HDD, and used my Dell DVD and installed VIsta on it, on the 10" laptop... I was half expecting it to refuse to proceed at some point, but it did the whole install, and after that I used the 10" laptop "Drivers and Utils" disk to set up all the drivers, and it is working fine... ...
After installing, and the wifi drivers ( which was the first one I found )... it began updating automatically, with 101 important updates.... I was going to use the SP2 disc I had, but after doing all those updates, I didn`t think it was necessary.... It is running on 2GB RAM... which... I think.... is the max for the little laptop...but may investigate further via CRUCIAL.. to see if I can get more ...
meanwhile, it is running very well, and quite fast, compared to how the W7 was running... on the whole, quite pleased with myself ! ! !  Cheesy
Thanks again, guys...  Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shutter
... I have a 10" laptop by Hannspree, it is pre-installed with Windows 7 STARTER.... this is on C:/drive. 

.... I may have done something "naughty"... but I have installed a spare HDD, and used my Dell DVD and installed VIsta on it, on the 10" laptop... I was half expecting it to refuse to proceed at some point, but it did the whole install, and after that I used the 10" laptop "Drivers and Utils" disk to set up all the drivers, and it is working fine... ...

The problem is that you will be asked to activate Windows and if you cannot do that your Vista installation will be crippled after 30 days.
Moreover, I cannot see why doing what you did seemed like a better option that resetting your machine back to its factory state.
shutter
Community Veteran

The reason I did the "clean install" of Vista on a spare HDD ( quite honestly.... I did not expect it to work ! ! ! ! ).... was so that I could keep the "old" hdd as it was, until I got up the courage to try to "repair" it, ... The 10" laptop is only a "toy" for occasional use, and it gives me "something to play with"... ( and learn along the way )... Having the VIsta on there at the moment, means I can still use it if my main laptop goes up the creek....
Normally there is a popup asking to activate Windows... right from the start of the install... however, I did not see that... and have not had any reminders... will see how it pans out after 30 days..
nanotm
Pro

it would depend on the type of install disc, some VLK type discs had the key pre written into the registry as part of the install process through the addition of an extra batch file in the customised install file (something many OEM's did in the past) so its possible you wont need to worry about it (and certainly its how a lot of the dodgy downloads were scripted for install) failing that it might of been updated to get rid of the activation nag....
personally I would of copied the recovery partition off the existing drive onto a usb drive and then used that on the clean disk, sure you would of had to expand the main partition size once the system was done but then your free to copy the extra program files across from the old drive straight into the new one and let W7 rebuild them as active programs the first time they get used (most would still work that way), its a quicker way of achieving a working system, then disabling aero  and it should work without any freezing casued by low memory, possibly invest in a mini usb drive for use as a readyboost to speed up the system a bit, but that's just me quick n lazy:)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Normally there is a popup asking to activate Windows... right from the start of the install...

If you install Windows 7 (OEM or Retail version) you don't have to submit a product key at the time of install and you don't get nagged about activation immediately.  As far as I can remember, Vista is the same.
If you used a Dell recovery disc it should not ask for a product key because the software it installs checks a key written in the BIOS.  My understanding is that these keys are manufacturer-specific so that should not work with a Hannspree machine.  A recovery disc would also include the wrong drivers for your machine.  Or what you could have used was a Dell-branded OEM installation disc for Windows Vista.
Let us know what happens in 30 days time. 
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards

Let us know what happens in 30 days time.   

Sure will.... if nothing happens, and I have forgotten about it...... send me a PM ! !  Cheesy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Rather than wait 30 days, right-click Computer and select Properties.  At the bottom of the 'Basic Information' window that appears it will tell you if your copy of Windows is activated or not.
shutter
Community Veteran

The problem is that you will be asked to activate Windows and if you cannot do that your Vista installation will be crippled after 30 days.

Well, gone past the 30 days, and all that has happened is the desktop screen has turned black, but all the icons are visible, there is a small notice on the bottom right corner saying that this is not a proper copy and should be registered...
Apart from that,... it seems to be working ok.... Not sure if it is doing updates, as will have to wait a couple of weeks for the next session !....
I only use it for CWCOM and some "Light Browsing"....maybe email when I am away from home... so it is not important, regarding the updates.... I am pretty "savvy" regarding clicking on the "dodgy" links, so am not really that worried about "windows security"... if it goes crap... I shall just buy another HDD and start again...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I think you will find that some Windows features no longer work. 
I cannot see the benefits in the route you have chosen to follow, but if what you have achieved works for you then who am I to argue.
nanotm
Pro

well if he uses the slingreset he can have full operability for a year maybe longer, depends on the age of the OS disk .....
I did think giving him an alternate registration key might work but apparently not so meh
shutter
Community Veteran

I think you will find that some Windows features no longer work. 

Any suggestions?
I think I read somewhere that Windows Media Player wont work.... no problem .... I use GOM player...
shutter
Community Veteran

Two months on...... and it is still running... so definitely not "crippled" after 30 days..... even did some updates yesteday...and still not "activated"..!... only thing I have noticed is that I cannot have a desktop pic...the background is just black...... which is ok... cos I don`t really ( and does anyone? ?  ) stare at the desktop and enjoy the background pic? ? ?
Yes I get nagged to "activate" it everytime it boots up... and occasionally during operations... but it is not a problem to click the cancel or the X button....  Smiley Smiley