cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bypassing Safeguard settings

Hoops1888

Bypassing Safeguard settings

Hi

I have suspicions my teenager has discovered how to "get round" the Gaming block I have put on Safeguard recently. Is this possible - and if so how do I reverse this situation? - Apologies if this comes across as a bit simplistic - I'm not massively tech-minded I'm afraid.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Bypassing Safeguard settings

First change your Plusnet account password. Teens are telepathic when it comes to parental passwords.

I presume you've read this: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/how-to-use-plusnet-safeguard/

Look up "blocking vpn access"in Google. Teens often use private virtual networks to bypass supplier website name checking.

Finally get your teen some Internet safety training and trust them. Let him/her know you'll listen without blame if they find bad stuff on the web.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

To add to the above. If you're using a Plusnet Hub One then you can set up Access Control - this allows you to stop his internet connection at the times you choose. (I don't think a VPN can bypass this)

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would simply use a free web proxy site to evade Plusnet's simplistic blocking.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

SafeGuard can only work if you’re using Plusnet DNS servers, so if you’ve changed these (either on your router settings or computer) try changing it back.

Conversely, if you want to bypass Safeguard, change the DNS server setting on your computer.  To check a Windows computer, open a CMD window and type ipconfig /all then press enter.  DNS servers will be listed amongst the various parameters.  The DNS server address should be the same as the Default Gateway i.e. the IP address of your router.