cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buzzing eminating from Panasonic 42" Plasma TV

Mav
Fixes: 514

Buzzing eminating from Panasonic 42" Plasma TV

Over the last few days I have noticed that there is a buzzing sound coming from the TV (5 years old this month). It's not there when initially turned on but starts after a while (not sure how long as never timed it). The buzzing seems to come from the right-hand side and is louder the brighter the screen is.
A Google search brings up a few suggestions from being a PCB or wiring issue, to the fan and there has even been a suggestion that simply tightening up the screws at the back will fix it - not easy to do as it's wall mounted. Most links seem to refer to either Panasonics or LGs.
Has anyone else experience this and/or able to offer a solution?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES 8
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Buzzing eminating from Panasonic 42" Plasma TV

Probably faulty caps in the power supply, usually is on warp plasma tellies...
Got a similar issue on the 50" samsung here, old PSU went pop, current PSU buzzes and squeals a lot, I don't use that TV though, prefer my 27" Samsung LED TV... Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The last time I had an annoying buzzing from my old telly I took the back off and turned out the lights.
I could then see a blue arcing which when looked at closely was a dodgy bit of soldering on one of the boards.
It was an easy repair, maybe yours is a similar problem?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I just binned an LG tv that had the terrible humming through the speakers problem. I knew what the problem was as I'd replaced some duff caps but used low quality non signal caps to replace them and it didn't solve jack lol. Having been skint for a few years it had been stood on the bedroom floor on my side of the bed until i could fix it. I didn't get chance and when it came to moving loads of stuff it was easier to junk it at the tip when she demanded one more time rather than continue telling her i was going to fix it in the next couple of months. And now we could do with one, there is no TV for the bedroom  Cheesy Roll_eyes
Reading this topic though fills me with dread Mav as ours is also panasonic and a similar age (maybe a few months behind yours). It did nothing but wind me up for 2-3 years as it had goggle eyes and as Comet had gone bust there wasn't going to be anything done about it under warranty but i stopped worrying about that a while back lol. I don't want to end up dismantling it to fix it though which would be my flaming luck  Roll_eyes
I'll never buy another panasonic though, they're far too annoying. Their batteries are cheap tat too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Mav

Thanks for the replies.
Not competent enough to investigate with the back off myself. May just have to get en engineer to have a look as the buzzing gets quite loud. Turn the TV for a while and it turns back on without the buzzing but soon builds up again.
I really like the quality of the picture on this model so would hate to have to lose it Sad

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Definitely capacitors, something a competent engineer could fix, not something for a teeth-sucker engineer though... Grin
nanotm
Pro

is it still under warranty or did it only have a short 12 month job when you bought it ?
chances are it will cost as much to get it repaired properly as it will do to replace it with a newer non plasma tv /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Mav

Been doing a little research and it seems that this is a known fault with several Panasonic plasma TVs.
I am wondering whether I can claim for a repair/replacement under the Consumer Rights Act (2015). Does that actually cover goods bought before the act came in or will I still be covered by the SoG Act Undecided
Anyway, I could get an engineer out to give his verdict. As Comet has gone down the pan I may still have recourse as I bought it on credit (loan) through Santander so Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act should come into force. I need to do a little more research on this.

nanotm
Pro

it might be cheaper to find a local electrical repair place and take it to them for review than calling someone out.
if your credit plan is still ongoing then it can be deemed the device failed within the purchase period but you would need legal advice on that,
my old tv had a breakdown insurance plan on it from D&G which cost about £50/yr I claimed on it twice before they cancelled the policy (which was part of the t&c's) fortunately they repaired it the first time and replaced it the second time due to faults in the motherboard /
I sold the one they replaced it with and bought a new one last month and have a new insurance on that one just in case Tongue
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you