cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an aftermarket router...

FIXED
mp4175

Buying an aftermarket router...

Hi all, I'm a new member (created to post this question) and a bit of a newbie when it comes to networking. I have a question relating to buying an aftermarket router. I want to buy a Linksys WRT1900ACS to replace the stock router Plus Net provided. Some info about my setup:
- I have Plus Net Unlimited Fibre
- The stock BT modem/router provided by Plus Net
- The stock router provided by Plus Net

Can I just buy the Linksys router and switch out the Plus Net provided one or will it replace both? Is it VDSL compatible (can't see on the product page)? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Link to the router: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01562PSIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_LoYjxb1HWDSWN
Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Buying an aftermarket router...

Fix

The Linksys router you linked to doesn't have a build in modem so you it doesn't need to be VDSL compatible because its not acting as modem.

You will keep the Openreach modem and replace the Plusnet router with the Linksys one, connecting the modem to the WAN ethernet port on the router using the Ethernet cable.

You will then need to configure PPPoE on the Linksys router with your Plusnet username and password and set authentication type to CHAP,

mp4175

Re: Buying an aftermarket router...

Thanks for the detailed reply! Received the router today so will try and set up tomorrow and feedback.