cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burning cd's problem

tonka
Grafter

Burning cd's problem

Hi guys having a problem with burning cd's my drive wont detect any blank cd's  i put in tried many new ones and it plays dvd's and cd's fine, also tried two programs to burn nero and media player but no joy.
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Burning cd's problem

Which operating system are you using?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tonka
Grafter

Windows xp mate.
samuria
Grafter

In my computer does it show the drive as a dvd-rw ? Has it worked in the past ok if so what has changed ie new software etc?
Does Nero see it ok and what happens when you try and write to it what error messages do you get?
tonka
Grafter

Yes it does show it as dvd-rw. yeah has worked in the past no new software added that i know that will affect it. yeah nero sets it all up fine just tells me to insert blank cd when theres already one in.
samuria
Grafter

Have you tried other brands of cd/dvd? There is a an option in nero to get the cd info what does that say? Try reducing the write speed I wondered if the disk are slow and it cant write at the correct speed.
You could try deleting the cd drive in device manager reboot and see if it reloads drivers.
If you have a dvd cleaner disk you could try that.
Is it the same with dvd and cd?
Make sure cd's are clean
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Assume it reads and plays other disks fine?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dgdclynx
Grafter

I have had to switch to CDRs from CDs for some things I do. I suspect the problem lay with the CDs I was buying rather than XP. Trouble is CDRs eventually die.
tonka
Grafter

It plays other cd's and dvd's fine and it recorded on the blank cds i have ok until couple of weeks ago and tried all the different speeds to burn at and does same think of not picking up blank cds when i tried burning it in windows media player also.
samuria
Grafter

What cd/dvd software do you have installed its know for some software that shrinks dvds to cause this problem.
All I can suggest  is remove all software related to cd/dvd reboot and just install nero on its own.
Check the cables are in ok on the drives and remove any dirt.
Clean cd drives.
If it still doesnt work can you borrow a cd from another pc and try that in case its a faulty cd player?
tonka
Grafter

Thats what is confusing me a bit it plays cd's ok but just wont pick up the blank cd's to burn off.
paulh
Rising Star

i had problems very like this with my laptop drive; i spent 20 quid on a new one and the problem went away ...