cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Burning' .avi files to DVD discs

brianex121
Grafter

'Burning' .avi files to DVD discs

Wondered if anyone else had come across my recent problem when trying to 'burn' to a DVD disc, clips from my digital video camera?  This used to work fine but recently I've had no end of complications - and a few wasted dics.  The results were playing back fine on the pc but not, for some reason, on the standalone dvd player, despite having apparently been burned successfully.  This was using Serif's 'Sonic My DVD' software, which used to be quite compatible with what I was doing.  Thanks to open advice on TechSpot, I managed to correct this, but had to get a refund on more recent software (Ashampoo Burning Studio 7) when after a month, I just couldn't break the circle...
Grateful for any useful advice - e.g. would an external DVD burner be better?
8 REPLIES 8
samuria
Grafter

Re: 'Burning' .avi files to DVD discs

Are you using Vista or Xp? If its Vista there are issues with it we have seen on the forum before. The problem is likely to be the fact that the software must convert the AVI to DVD and that takes a lot of power and needs the right Codec to do it. It can be converted to different levels.
A lot depends on the software you use to convert it the most popular being Nero but even this sometimes needs extra codecs of plug ins. Looking at your files with the free Gspot from http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ often helps as this gives you details of the codecs used.
Getting another burner wont make any difference unless your is faulty.
There is plenty of software to choose from and most you can download a trail. The problem may be with how you are creating the AVI in the first place how do you do that and what format does it take?   
brianex121
Grafter

Thanks Samuria for such a full reply - I'm using Win XP pro and this used to work fine with Sonic's My DVD (pretty simple, I know, but it suited what was needed)  I've removed from registray and reinstalled and had some success, though it seems to be intermittent!  Main puzzle is why does My DVD and even (the now removed Ashampoo v.7) produce stuff ok for the pc but not for the standalone?  I did download Gspot, but not quite sure how this will help....... Also tried the same software with an externally added Sony DVD writer, using a USB2 IDE adaptor, which lets me read, etc, but not write for standalone.
samuria
Grafter

Have you tried it in other dvds or is it just your dvd that doesnt work? Some dvds are fussy about the disk type and how the disk is written.
If you look at a dvd you created with gspot and see how its encoded then look at a dvd that does work on your player and see if its in the same format.
I would try Nero as that is one of the best you can download a trail so it wont cost anything. Have you add anything or upgraded anything to do with codecs like added new movie player or software update to the burning software.
Find a dvd that will play on the player then copy it and see if the copy plays if it does then the writer is ok so its down to the file encoding. Does the play give any clue to why it wont play and error message? Its not somthing silly like you are writing the wrong region?
dgreen007
Grafter

I've had this problem too when trying to burn a downloaded Sopranos.avi and curbYourEnthusiasm.avi file which play perfectly on the PC but when using ConvertXtoDVD (which works perfectly fine with everything else) it doesn't seem to play back properly on  my DVD player.
It's jumpy and staggers, not at all smooth to watch.
I'm now wondering whether it is a 'region' thing, but say that, I've burned other US stuff ie, lost avi files.
Very strange.... what do you think.....
samuria
Grafter

Most of the problems are in the conversions there are so many variants now that its bound to happen. try downloading the trail version
Sorenson squeeze from
http://www.sorensonmedia.com/pages/?pageID=8
Its the best converter in the world but with it you can see just how many ways there are to convert a file with filters, codecs, compressions etc the array is fantastic. Just like translating from another language something dont always work 100%
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Isn't avi a bit ancient (so last century) Smiley
mp4 with H264 seems to be the current dogs bits.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Pegasus56
Grafter

I used to suffer from much the same problem when writing Discs.
All Cured Now after I was forced to lay out for a new DVD/VHS Recorder/Player (which came with DivX Codexes included, something other Brands apparently don't have).
On reading the Manual I found the site address for DivX Converter/DivX Burner Download (which I got).
My Son found that not only are the Discs Better Quality but He can also fit 10-12 45min Progs on one disc (were as formerly he could only fit 4 or 5).
All the Discs we have (so far made) also work on everything accept his old PS2. Roll_eyes Wink
P.S.
The DivX Burner also burns Avi Files (without the need to convert) Wink
bubbalicious
Grafter

Snap - I have been having the exact same problem! I have all sorts of software I've bought over time and tried it all, Serif (same as yours), Roxio, Toshiba's Integrated software, Sony Vaio integrated software, Sonic,- and after going through and trying them all the avi just won't play! Whether the Avi comes from a Camcorder or just a digital camera! I did also tried every type of DVD!  I am now using a Vista Laptop but going through DVD's I created with Xp show the same problem - (or well don't!!!)
  I got so frustrated,and wasted so many DVD's that I ended up emailing Philips who make my TV connected DVD Player and they have replied to say one of their technical staff will be calling me in the next couple of days about it??    If you want to know what they say about it - I'll be more than happy to let you know!
In the meantime I found that changing the format of the .avi 's to MPEG seems to then play ok on any of my DVD players, Luckily I have Adobe Premiere Elements pre-installed on my Sony and so I've been using that now but I posted a topic on this forum a little while ago when I was having a problem with a different type of DVD format!  One of the members kindly  pointed me to a free software called DeVeDe from http://www.majorsilence.com/devede/ ; I found out that it is not yet Vista compatible but from what i read it could change the format of your avi movies to mpeg etc!
Good Luck - hopefully Philips will have something to say that will provide a simple solution, and make us all happy!