Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering problems on iPlayer on WIFI

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Buffering problems on iPlayer on WIFI

Unfortunately fibre to the premises isn't available in your area at this moment in time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Having fibre to the premises doesn't necessarily mean you'll be immune to a fault. It'll reduce the likelihood by removing all that copper from the circuit, but problems can still happen.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

wouldn't 100% fibvre also mean that it's an all or nothing situation with a fault?
whereas with copper and a fault you may still have a working connection albeit just running slower?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@chenks76

No.

You would be surprised at how faults on FTTP can be just as trying as any other technology. I had a 3 month fault where the downstream slowed below 5Mbps and ping times went up to infinity which lasted for 24 hours during which time the speed slowly raised back to normal as did the ping times.

Also you get all the issues at the exchange as the fibre stops there and you are dumped onto the normal ISP network.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

i was referring to the fibre connection though (as opposed to a copper connection), where it either works or it doesn't.
whereas copper can still work but be slow.

was your 3 month fault pinpointed to be a fibre link issue? or an issue elsewhere (ie at the exchange).

also, bear in mind that having FTTP doesn't stop you having congestion issues. but that's not what i was referring to, as the OP was suggesting his/her issue was a copper connection issue.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@chenks76

It was in an FTTP connection card at the exchange. So part of the FTTP infrastructure as it affected users of multiple ISPs in my local area. So before it was split out to the individual ISP.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT