cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bubble Struugle !

rdgsystems

Bubble Struugle !

As the ICT Technician in a school I've been asked to look at blocking a particularly addictive flash game - any ideas on how to do this?
(Preferably without disabling flash as a lot of educational software needs it)
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
samuria
Grafter

Re: Bubble Struugle !

What O/S is it in a domain. What is the game on the net or run locally and is it an exe or a swf?
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

As Sam's querie hints, we need a bit more information regarding your topography, nature of the flash game and setup of end terminal machines, if you could attach diagrams it would be good, I love pictures Smiley
Alternatively, if you can't share that info for security or whatever, FYI :- this seems to be the most easily distributed flash I have come accross in a long time.  The main website openly offers a link to download the actual .swf file, which meens that any industrious students could just fling it on a disk/usb drive and play it off that.
good luck on this one, I hope your running an AD server.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Is it this one?  Are they playing it from that site, or downloading it, or bringing it with them?  You could block access to the site.  That would make it harder for them.  If it's installed locally, depending on your setup, you could run a script to delete it from each machine on log on, or every so often etc...  That wouldn't solve it, but would make it more awkward for them.
I remember my days at high school, when we had a choice of windows 3, or windows 3.1 on the network.  In Windows 3.1 the games were all disabled during lessons, but if you knew where to look you could run the Windows 3 version of Soliter in Windows 3.1 and could get around it!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

avalon
Grafter

My guess would be that it's this one.  And yes it's very addictive.  It'd be almost impossible to block without blocking all flash unfortunately as it's one of a myriad of variants on an old game that are available on the internet.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Quote from: me
...it's one of a myriad of variants on an old game...

Pang! FTW!!!!  Grin
Thunderclap
Grafter

The trick is to examine the web page / browser cache and locate the .FLI from which the game is compiled. And then specify this name on your firewall using a wildcard for the domain name. Something like: */nakkidteabag.fli That way, they can change the server, but not the game. Furthermore, on blocking you could force a LAN redirect to a page that reads...
You are trying to access restricted content. This violation has been logged and the Deputy Head sent an email. If this violation is serious or repeated, then your tutor and parents will be informed.
Of course, if you're working in 21st Century Edukation, then you may not have the kit to do this. Or a Deputy Head who is a total psycho.
Good luck : Cool
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

That's all good and well Thunder, except for the ocassions where the file is loaded localy from a download, as was said, the games own website has the file free to download, and once the download has made it to the local machine, the firewall is redundant.
Effectivly your solution would work best if the restriction was locked into the browser settings of every terminal in the school, so that even if the file was opend from a local instance, the browser would refuse to load it.  Hence why an AD server would be grossly prefferable, it makes rolling out network wide settings changes slightly less time consuming.