Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browsing with XP

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Browsing with XP

You could run something like Crucial system scanner on it and see what it suggests...if anything.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
hillyfields123
Grafter

CPU-Z is also pretty good for checking RAM
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: shermans
I added more memory just after I bought it, when 768 Mb was a lot of memory !  Remember those days when everything was far simpler ?

I remember selling Windows machines with 2Mb Ram. We had a fast Zenith Data Systems (486SX33) with 6Mb ram and it positively flew !
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Following the recommendation that I increase the RAM from 768 Mb, I ran a check on Crucial Memory which recommended that I increase the RAM to 2 Gb.  So I bought 2 x 1 Gb SDRAM, which I have now fitted.
When I first installed it, everything was very much faster and there were no problems.  I could open several tabs for instance at the same time in Google Chrome without issue, and was not waiting for hours while each tab loaded.  Brilliant. !  Except that it lasted for about an hour, after which disaster struck.
Ever since then, every time I try to access the web, Chrome crashes with the corny "Aw, Snap"  message.  I have tried, as it suggested, to stop my anti-virus, but it makes no difference.  I then thought that perhaps the RAM was not installed cleanly, and so I disconnected everything, carefully took out the RAM and re-installed it.  It has made no difference.
What is interesting is that Internet Explorer seems to work fine as a fall-back until I try to use Chrome, and then Internet Explorer crashes afer that.  I suspect that Chrome may be filling up the RAM and then crashing with the result that, when I then try to use Internet Explorer, there is perhaps no RAM available.  Pure speculation as I am not technical.  However, I can only post this message after re-booting, and then only first using Internet Explorer BEFORE trying to access Chrome.  So far, so good.  But I bet if I try Chrome, it will crash and then Explorer will also crash.
My worry is that when I bought the desktop some years ago, I obtained a specifcation from HP which read :
" HP  Pavilion a610.uk
2 DDR-DIMM sockets supporting PC2100 and PC2700 DIMMS (PC2700 DIMMS will run as PC2100 when system uses a 400MHz FSB)
Maximum memory: 1.0 GB
Memory Installed                256 MB (2 x 128)
Maximum allowed                  1 GB* (2 x 512) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMMs.
Speed supported                  PC2100 and PC2700
Type                                    184 pin, DDR RAM  "
"
I wonder whether by installing 2 Gb, the machine cannot cope, as it says the maximimum is 1 Gb (2 x 512 Mb) ?  I have checked in System Properties and 1.99Gb are now installed.
I am attaching the Error File from Chrome in case that throws any light on the subject.  When Internet Explorer crashes, I get a message "Rundle.  System32/clearmytracksbyprocess 6651".
Can anyone hlp ?  I would be most grateful.  Thanks
picbits
Rising Star

Grab some memory check software such as a Linux live boot CD and test it thoroughly.
I have a HP laptop which spat its dummy out when I tried to upgrade past 2Gb so it couldn be that you can only go up to 1Gb - once your machine is trying to access more than 1Gb it is failing.
shermans
Pro

Thanks for the info.
So I took out 1 Gb and left just 1 Gb in the remaining slot.  It still crashed.
Therefore I imagine that I can only have 512k in each slot and no more - i.e. 2 x 512Mb.  Seems odd but that must be the way it works.  The only other possibility is that one or other of the 1 Gb is faulty, but as it is new I am reluctant to think that.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Is it just Chrome that 'crashes' though?  If there were a problem with the memory I'd expect Windows to be crashing (Blue Screen) or other issues.
If just Chrome you could try uninstalling the Chrome Browser then either re-installing from a fresh download or trying an alternative such as the Windows XP specific version of Palemoon which I find is usually more stable on XP than Chrome.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shermans
Pro

Well, Outlook also crashed once.  I do not get the "blue screen" as such - I just get a black screen and nothing responds.  Sometimes it reboots atomatically.  Sometimes not.  Sometimes just Chrome crashes, but I can re-start Chrome without re-booting, only for the same thing to happen again.
However, since my last posting, I thought that I would experiment again, and I swapped the 1 Gb which I had put back in the machine with the other 1 Gb, just in case the first was faulty.  I have now re-booted again (for the umpteenth time) and everything so far is stable.  There have been no crashes with anything.  I opened up about six tabs in Chrome, and they were all stable.
I never like to blame hardware, but this does indicate that perhaps the 1 Gb card is faulty after all.  The only way to prove it I suppose is to put it back in and see if it crashes again.
In the meantime, even with only 1 Gb RAM, the performance is much better than with only 768.
How likely is it for a new 1Gb. to be faulty ?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Well, it is always possible that you have received a faulty module, hopefully covered by warranty  if proved by substitution.
Glad to hear that things look stable now (and faster than before).  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Reference your printers I still have a 2006 Dell desktop running XP - but upgraded some time ago to 2GB. I use Firefox as the default browser. It's pretty slow still - the computer takes about 20 minutes to boot up and Firefox takes about another 1-2 minutes. It's usually left on 24/7. It has two printers installed - my original 1999 Deskjet 895CXi and the 2006 Dell 924 that came with the XP machine. I've managed to install both printers onto my Dell XPS12 running W8.1u1 - so you may find you can get your printers to work with an up-to-date operating system.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: DomS
Many older machines simply do not have enough memory or processor power to keep up with some of the newer software, especially when websites have flash animation on.

Not just the older machines either. My current machine has two quad core processors running at 3GHz (8 cores total) and 16GB ram. Anything past 15-20 tabs and a flash animation will knacker my browser. When we got this machine i thought that would all be solved with multiple cores but apparently the browser itself still runs on just one core -pointless  Roll_eyes
My laptop has 1Gb and on reflection works a bit better than the desktop.  It is only one year younger and I have already had to take it apart to clean out the cooling system, but have noticed it too has occasionally started to overheat lately.

I know you say you've done the cooling system but have you actually taken the fan unit right apart and cleaned out the cooling fins? Reason i ask is that i had a laptop come to me a while back that was constantly overheating (i literally had to put it in another room on a network cable to backup everything it was that noisy) and when i looked up online the cause many folks claimed it was the contact with the processor needing a copper shim. When i took it apart i noticed that it wasn't the contact with the processor at fault but the actual fan unit (with cleverly concealed screws) that was full of fluff. I dismantled that, swept out all the garbage, reassembled and it has been fine ever since.
The only other possibility is that one or other of the 1 Gb is faulty, but as it is new I am reluctant to think that.

It does happen.. also you need to touch something grounded when handling these things in order to drain any static electricity that you are carrying (which destroys things like memory). I accidentally destroyed two ram modules the other week - forgot to remove a cardigan that generates static like a power station..  Roll_eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Wimpywoo
Grafter

I know this has nothing to do with what you are wanting to know but I do know that on a xp the network connections (drivers)are sometimes set to ad hoc or static , you may need to go to the vendor site to find out if they need updating also your adobe flash may need updating too, I might be wrong but you can always go to the Microsoft site to find out about their updates for windows xp, also if you have installed a anti virus always check the compatibility of if its for a 32 gb or 64gb.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Wimpywoo
32 gb or 64gb.

I think you mean 32bit or 64bit... Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Wimpywoo
I know this has nothing to do with what you are wanting to know but I do know that on a xp the network connections (drivers)are sometimes set to ad hoc or static , you may need to go to the vendor site to find out if they need updating also your adobe flash may need updating too, I might be wrong but you can always go to the Microsoft site to find out about their updates for windows xp, also if you have installed a anti virus always check the compatibility of if its for a 32 gb or 64gb.

Erm, lots to correct there... Huh
The network connections are dynamic (as in supplied by the router's DHCP server) or static (set up by the computer's user), but that doesn't really have much to do with speed of browsing, and the drivers for most network interfaces (wired, wireless or fibre, not that the latter is usually used domestically) are already at the latest they will be due to XP being obsolete...
Updating flash doesn't change anything in terms of speed, if anything it just makes the problem worse by adding more features that require more processing power and/or memory...
XP updates for domestic customers (E.G. Home, Professional, 64bt, etc.) don't happen any more, you have to use a little registry tweak to fool MS updates into thinking it's a commercial EPOS (Electronic point of sale) version to continue receiving updates, but not all are compatible with domestic XP and could cause problems down the line...
And as mentioned, 32bit and 64bit, but that isn't a concern as the computer in question is old enough to not be 64bit compatible anyway, a 64bit version of an OS or piece of software will not work at all from the outset on an entirely 32bit system... Smiley

Anyway, the main "fixes" for older systems is usually a nuke & pave (format & reinstall), installing everything from scratch, but given it's an older system, it's pretty much trying to polish a poo, it'll be nice and shiny, but it's still poo... Grin
I had to stop using my old laptop simply because things have changed so much in recent years that it can no longer play a 360p Youtube video any more, when 5 years ago, it could go up to 720p despite not being made for HD content... Undecided
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I can assure you Windows Updates for XP do still occur. But I believe it's essential security updates only. My 100% domestic system still occasionally updates...