Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband signal leakage

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Broadband signal leakage

Excuse my ignorance but is broadband  signal leakage a problem with copper wire and does fibre have the same issue (and if so, to what extent)?

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Broadband signal leakage

@Leapy - Consider it excused.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous thank you for your forgiveness and excellent technical knowledge. Funny

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'm no expert so I couldn't answer I just simply provided the forgiveness in advance of the answers from those that do know Wink

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Leapy    
@Leapy wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but is broadband  signal leakage a problem with copper wire and does fibre have the same issue (and if so, to what extent)?

As @Anonymous has already excused you....  perhaps you would need to get a plumber in with an RF sniffer device to check for leakages on the copper wires.. but not sure how to check with fibre........

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

I understand that signal strength and the length is an issue with copper wire signal and not so much with fibre.

Wire and fibre damage may be an issue?

Environmental variables like heat, cold, moisture may be an issue?, but I don't know. 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Signal strength and length of wire,  the reduction in speed over the line is caused, (I think).. by the resistance of the wire.... therefore, the longer the wire, the more resistance,... therefore the longer the wire, the less speed at the far end of it...

Presumably Fibre is faster as there is less resistance over length....

So, your "leakage" question is not like the signal is leaking out of the wire, as in a plumbing leak..... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Leapy - You keep referring to fibre, bu this do you mean true fibre as in a light source?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Anonymous yes, do I need to call it fibre optic cable?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I don't see how that can leak to be honest. If it's leaking light then it has a serious problem that would soon get picked up. But I'm sure others will add to this.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

What do you mean by leak?

I'm just wondering if you're referring to Wireless Signal or the signal of a connection down a fibre/phoneline?

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Pettitto I wish I knew what I meant by "leakage", hence the question on this forum. I just know that from time-to-time my broadband is worse (and better) than other times and its noticeable even when wired in.

If you follow the thread, from the start, you will see I have come to the conclusion that it "maybe" water related as the problem is much more noticeable when heavy rain and damp weather. Unfortunately, PN can't stop the rain or damp weather.Sad

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Leapy  yes it is possible that a bad joint is allowing water ingress , which could cause a intermittent fault Thumbs_Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"Fibre broadband" is fibre to a local cabinet only, the last bit is still using twisted phone wires (but because the bit that carries your broadband is just from a local box, and not all the way to the exchange, it can work faster)

If you get problems just during the damp / wet weather, then it's that last bit of twisted wires that are the issue. Theoretically, dampness should NOT affect things, but if you have dodgy connections, then indeed damp weather CAN affect it. All that usually needs to be done is for BT to re-connect those connections.

I had this problems a few years ago, a friend had a similar issue a few weeks ago: raise a fault, making it clear that the issue is caused by the wet weather, and they should be able to fix it.

Do you notice any crackling on your phone line at all.... that's another effect of dodgy joints.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@paul_blitz Thanks for the information.Smiley I've not recently noticed any cracks on the phone line and PN tell me to check it again when it rains.Undecided The only unusual noise when I was on the phone today, was the wind taking my dustbin down the road!Shocked