cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband extender issues for CCTV access

Karen_99

Broadband extender issues for CCTV access

Hi,

Hoping someone can help on this.  I am quite techy minded on an "intermediate" basis but we have just had CCTV installed and I am not sure to to solve this issue.

The CCTV is in the detached garage, all working fine - and NVR unit is recording and alerts show on monitor for movement etc.  

We want to be able to connect to the mobile site on our smartphones, more so for when we are not in but we are having connection issues.  The company that fitted the CCTV used the BT wifi extender 600s.  It worked perfect for a couple of hours, but the next day it has stopped working - the images on our phones, show the last time we had logged on to it and it says "cannot access at the momemt, please try later (153)".   We noted on the extenders, that the power and ethernet lights were green,but the data one was not on (so obviously not picking up the data). 

We contacted the CCTV company and he came out - he could not get it to work and we plugged the laptop in via ethernet in the garage but it wasn't working either.  He ordered another set of the extenders and came back to set them up.  Again, they worked perfectly for the evening after they were installed, then the following day it was the same scenario - no data light.

Bit puzzled on how to solve this and hoping it is something straight forward - just frustrating that we have this CCTV system but can't access it. 

What is strange is that occasionally when I went onto the app - even though it wasn't picking up the picture it would bleep with an alert notification, so something must be connecting somewhere, but when you access the section on the app for notifications it says there is nothing to show as it can't pick up the visual.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Broadband extender issues for CCTV access

@Karen_99 

This is all very confusing. Can you explain just how this lot is connected? For example are you saying that the cameras are connected to the NVR in your garage and the powerline units are used to  transfer the data to your hub to be uploaded to the Cloud? When you say that you are using your mobile phone to see the recordings are you using the phone WiFi to connect to your NVR or are you using the mobile network to conbect to Cloud recordings?

Alternaively is it a much simpler set up and you are just trying to connect to the NVR using the hub WiFi connection from your phone?

If you think that it's the Powerline units at fault then be aware that you can buy various lengths of Ethernet cable for very little money. It might be worth buying a length and use it temporarily just to prove the point.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Karen_99

Sorry if I am not too clear on this - it is a bit out of my depth.
Basically, if the NVR unit was in the house, it would be plugged into the back of our router box like the hive unit and then you access the information on the app. As the unit is in the garage, the ethernet cable from the NVR unit is plugged into one of the broadband extenders. The other extender is in the lounge with the ethernet cable plugged into the router box. The issue seems to be that the green data light isn't on, so obviously no data is being fed through. I would put the photo on to show you but can't see how attach the photo as using mobile
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Karen_99 

This is the interesting paragraph from your original post:

We contacted the CCTV company and he came out - he could not get it to work and we plugged the laptop in via ethernet in the garage but it wasn't working either.  He ordered another set of the extenders and came back to set them up.  Again, they worked perfectly for the evening after they were installed, then the following day it was the same scenario - no data light.

II looks like the so called CCTV person who came out had no idea what they were doing. It could be indicative that something is amiss with the NVR and the powerline data connection is a total red herring. As I suggested earlier, I would start with a cheap length of Ethernet cable between the NVR and hub. Unless you can get that working it's not a powerline converter problem.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-cable-Networking-Cat5E-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B00I2L6LRU/ref=sr_1_6?adgrpi...

This little article I have produced about powerline unit performance might also help tell you how to check if you are likely to have powerline unit problems, which is especially possible if the house has had the electricity Consumer Unit changed since the CCTV was first installed.  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'