cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connected but no Internet - trying to connect a tablet

basilfaulty
Dabbler

Broadband connected but no Internet - trying to connect a tablet

I'm trying to connect my Google Nexus 7 tablet which has always connected in the past. It says "connected but no internet". My laptop and pc and Samsung TV are all connected with internet. I took my tablet to another wi-fi hotspot and it connected there ok. There are quite a few devices when I go into the ADMIN section of the router. I deleted quite a few iphones that i found there, various friends etc. Is there a limit to how many wi-fi devices that can connect to the router a Technicolor Gateway?

Any ideas why the tablet isn't getting on the internet?

7 REPLIES 7
gtbigfoot
Hooked

Re: Broadband connected but no Internet - trying to connect a tablet

The theoretical limit is normally 255, but includes wired devices. If your device has never worked with your router, it would be an interoperability problem, which can sometimes exist between different manufacturers equipment, but since it has connected to the internet via your router before, it will be a configuration issue. Simply delete the stored association on your device, and do a first time connect. This should clear any misconfig. Failing that, try disabling IPv6 on your device. Some wifi routers struggle in a mixed IP enviroment.
basilfaulty
Dabbler

Thanks. I've deleted the instance of the Nexus 7 on the router and restarted it but still get the same message no internet. I'm not sure how to disable IPv6 on my device but will have a look and see if I can work it out.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Was it the router you restarted after deleting the Nexus 7 network entry, or the Nexus 7?

I suggest shutting down both the router and Nexus 7, leave the router off for a few minutes then switch it on again and allow it to reconnect to the Internet and other devices to reconnect.

Now switch on the Nexus 7 and se if that gets a proper connection.

David
basilfaulty
Dabbler

Actually I restarted both but I left the Nexus 7 trying to connect to the router and the internet and later when i checked I found it had connected to the router with internet. Sometimes in the past i recall this happening but I hadn't used the tablet for about five months and there were a lot of things needed updated. Thanks to all who have helped but all is going well now. In future I'll try and use it more often so it doesn't get out of date etc.

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Glad you've got it sorted. When this has happened to me in the past. I've found that forgetting the wireless network on the Nexus and re-entering the password usually does the trick.
basilfaulty
Dabbler

Well I did try forgetting the wireless network and re-entering the password more than once but I saw that the device was trying again and again to connect to the internet. For some reason I don't have a problem with devices that connect here every day but it often happens with devices like the tablet and my laptop if I've been away with them and connected to other networks when i return they don't just connect right away but take approx 20 to 30 mins to connect properly here. It is hard to understand, I took the tablet along to my local health club and managed to get it to connect to their wi-fi first time although it has been a while since I last had it there so the only network that is a bit tricky is at home really......

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you tried a professional Blade-Runner?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."