cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speeds

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Broadband Speeds

Broadband Choices has carried out a speed test over a 3 month period.  The results can be seen at:
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/partner-SpeedDemonEmail~2701~CID107804/broadband-speed-league-tabl...
Plusnet are 10th in their table.
10 REPLIES 10
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Broadband Speeds

Interesting how Be and O2 occupy the top 2 spots, but they are both exactly the same company.  There shouldn't be any discrepancy between them at all.
It's about what I would expect though - the ADSL2+ type providers occupying the top spots.
B.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Are Be and O2 integrated with their servers etc yet?
Not applicable

I recall the last test they did was with a very unreliable speedtester - I'm downloading the latest to see if its better (if the darn site would work I would be anyway!)
B - hows about you having a play across some of your accounts? I reckon you could cater for a large part of the ones mentioned couldn't you? See how it performs objectively against other ones like TBB, MBBS, etc?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: Barry
Interesting how Be and O2 occupy the top 2 spots, but they are both exactly the same company.  There shouldn't be any discrepancy between them at all.
Not strictly correct - they are the same company but you can sign up to O2 on an up to 8Mb line inside and outside the LLU exchanges http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/packages.jsp
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: James_H
I recall the last test they did was with a very unreliable speedtester - I'm downloading the latest to see if its better (if the darn site would work I would be anyway!)

If I remember correctly the last test was not Broadband Choices but Thinkbroadband, but I could be wrong Wink
Not applicable

PN Speedtester: "6062 kbps (758kB/s) 587 kbps (73.4kB/s)"
Speedtest.net:  "5589kbps 666kbps ( http://www.speedtest.net/result/307700636.png )"
Broadband Choices: "Your connection speed is 1.10Mb, you have indicated that you are meant to get up to 8.00Mb from PlusNet"
Something seems a little odd to me.
Does anybody else get similar results/differences between different speedtesters? I know thay they are dependant upon too many variables to ever be accuratte, but you'd expect them to be in the same ball-park wouldn't you?

Quote from: artmo
If I remember correctly the last test was not Broadband Choices but Thinkbroadband, but I could be wrong Wink

The TBB one is normally around the same as the other ones to be honest - it was definately a Broadband Choices one I'm thinking of (although there have been other complaints about other ISP's interpretations and use of the results and comparisions on TBBs page, but thats another story entirely!)
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've found the last tests details:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,66081.msg529983.html#msg529983
Carried out by Consumer Choice.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Barry

They do not sell exactly the same services however, though they do have shared infrastrucure at the exchanges. (I'm on Be as many of you worked out a while back.)
Not applicable

Quote from: artmo
I've found the last tests details:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,66081.msg529983.html#msg529983
Carried out by Consumer Choice.

Knew it looked familiar!
Looks like they've split out their branding, but its clearly the same folks.
So what results did other peeps get?
Santiago
Grafter

Date  12/08/08 13:01:52
Speed Down 1374.33 Kbps ( 1.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 237.34 Kbps ( 0.2 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

Speedtester BT
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: 
Your DSL connection rate: 2112 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1427 kbps

Router stats
                                                                      Downstream            Upstream

Connection Speed                                  2112 kbps            448 kbps                                         
  Line Attenuation                                        44 db                    13.5 db                                                                                       
  Noise Margin                                            15 db                      21 db                                       

I