Did you mean: 

Broadband Phone Performance

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Broadband Phone Performance

Hi guys,
Those that have been monitoring the Service Status thread here may be aware that Broadband Phone has not been without it's problems of late.
Whilst we have longer term plans for our Broadband Phone service (watch this space!) our immediate concern is getting the current implementation fixed to a level where we are satisfied with the way it is performing.
We performed a period of maintenance this morning which we hope will have alleviated a lot of the problems, so I'm starting this thread to ask...
What are your current experiences with Broadband Phone? Do you find that it's now more reliable? If not, what problems are you having?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

28 REPLIES 28
pcoventry76
Grafter

Re: Broadband Phone Performance

i've just used it and it was nice and clear, that's in peak on Gold Priority
Well done PN for such a thing it means i don't have to spend £10 a month on VOIP i can now spend it on extra GB's instead.
smart indeed Wink
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have been following updates regularly and hoping you can eventually get a fully operational Voip phone system working for me.
My current situation using uPnp port forwarding only,
(My prefered option)Linksys Pap2
Outbound calls normally connected on the second or third try (hang up and redial)
Inbound calls IT has never rung.
Xlite softphone
Outbound calls can make calls OK
Inbound calls, does not ring
Wengophone softphone
Outbound call OK
Inbound calls OK
Ian
pcoventry76
Grafter

Well earlier yesterday my connection was kept alive by the servers for over 20 minutes past when i had used my connection.
Apart from that it's a very good service and yes im using x-lite
Pete
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: ian007jen

(My prefered option)Linksys Pap2

Ian

I am using a LINKSYS SIP VOIP PHONE ADAPTER PAP2-NA and have had no problems picked 2 up on ebay for £13 each and free postage.  You can flash them so they think they are a Pap2 but mine worked without.
Just make sure its not a vonage pap2 resetting them can re-lock them to vonage mine have never been locked to any network.  It has 2 line I have sipgate on one and plusnet on line two
Just pluged them in to my router no port forwarding it was so easy
Puddy
ian007jen
Rising Star

Got the Linksys pap2 to work, I had to downgrade the speedtouch 716wl firmwear to the original.
My only problem now is the intermittent holding open of a line after I have hung up
The call I made 05/10/2007 - 08:59:37 to 01******213, I hung up after 60 seconds but the line was held open for 7 mins,
The call I made 08/10/2007 - 12:49:35 to the same number I hung up after 30 seconds
but the call was registered as 3.33 mins long and the line was held open for that long.
Ian
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Just got back from 2 weeks holiday. Plustalk was working fine before I went , now all I get is 'failed to register'. Has something changed ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pcoventry76
Grafter

i'm still getting that maybe the platform has fallen over?
pcoventry76
Grafter

Got the Linksys pap2 to work, I had to downgrade the speedtouch 716wl firmwear to the original.
My only problem now is the intermittent holding open of a line after I have hung up
The call I made 05/10/2007 - 08:59:37 to 01******213, I hung up after 60 seconds but the line was held open for 7 mins,
The call I made 08/10/2007 - 12:49:35 to the same number I hung up after 30 seconds
but the call was registered as 3.33 mins long and the line was held open for that long.
Ian

this is EXACTLY what i had and i reported it to Bob
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm afraid I continue to find Broadband 'phone very unreliable.
I receive the line tone OK, however, I verify the echo-test prior to attempting a call and nearly always I have to disconnect and reconnect the ATA to obtain a successful test.  Often it still doesn't work.
For me, the service is currently worse than ever.  Earlier in the year there was a period of a month when it worked quite reliably.
I wonder, did my reliability deteriorate even further when I switched to BBYW?
Regards
puddy
Grafter

I told speedtouch 6 weeks ago that their was a problem with the latest firmware locking the router up (voip ready light) and they have done nothing not even a reply.
If you have a speedtouch 716wl v5 why are you using a pap2 adapter  I thought it as 2 voip ports on board?
Mind you I have never manged to use both ports on the speedtouch i.e 2 differant voip suppliers sipgate and plusnet
puddy
ian007jen
Rising Star

I was using the speedtouch next to the master socket and the Pap2 in the office.
I have now moved the speedtouch to the office via the extension wireing (lost about 3/4 Mb/sec) and removed the Linksys, phone calls enabled both ways for the first time.
I am going to try to use telnet to add another sip supplier to the second line.
Ian
puddy
Grafter

I was using the speedtouch next to the master socket and the Pap2 in the office.
I have now moved the speedtouch to the office via the extension wireing (lost about 3/4 Mb/sec) and removed the Linksys, phone calls enabled both ways for the first time.
I am going to try to use telnet to add another sip supplier to the second line.
Ian

I found that you cannot have 2 different voip providers on the speedtouch router.
I have found the web interface for the pap2 and speedtouch easier not sure about using telnet.
any help with the above would be greatfully recieved
Puddy
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Is it only me?  After about 18-months usage I find Broadband 'phone less reliable than ever.
I can rarely obtain a landline connection now.
Are all you others enjoying the service of which I dream?
Regards
ian007jen
Rising Star

The way I use broadband phone is
1 dial, if no connection made;
2 Hang up; Embarrassed
3 dial, if no connection made;
4 Hang up; Embarrassed
5 goto 1
6 SCREAM LOUDLY AND THROW PHONE TO FLOOR Shocked