cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadand Dis/Connect

chubbscottage

Broadand Dis/Connect

A couple of things, I can't disconnect from broadband, it reconnects all by its self, very odd!  Also for a while I had a broadband gateway icon in network connections which has vanished while I was messing around with the disconnect options, can't get it back.
What propted me to try was unaccounted for free usage, I was in bed at the time it was clocked up, cuddling something softer than a laptop which was downstairs in hybernation.  That makes me think something is still ticking away, though god knows what.
It did occur to me that I've got it all wrong with my interpretation of pay as you use broadband.  Maybe it's allways on?
Exceptionally puzzled
Roy Huh
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Broadand Dis/Connect

Hi Roy,
With most routers, they always try to reattain the broadband connection, which is good in a way, but clearly not for your situation!
Your best bet will actually be to turn of the power at the mains that supplies your router.
chubbscottage

I have tried that but you then have to re-enter the network key to get things going again.  A bit tedious.  I'll leave it for a bit and keep an eye on the usage.
Any ideas about the gateway icon, having it in the system tray was handy as a bb speed monitor.
Not applicable

If its a router, the only way to see the speed its connected at is to look at the interface on the router itself.
Any sytem tray icon you could show for that connection now would be purely for the connection between your computer and the router unfortunately.
Also, you shouldn't have to re-enter the network key once you've entered it - the wireless network should connect automatically.
I'm wondering if perchance you have a Belkin WiFi dongle? I've found their interface commands confusing/ambiguous in the past.
chubbscottage

I think it's probably the dongle between my ears that's the problem!  Thanks for your help, I shall go away and play for a bit.
pdavidson
Grafter

If you have a wireless network and you have usage unaccounted for then I have to ask whether you've secured the network? Your router should be fine to stay on permanently as with no PCs running it won't download anything. Could someone be connecting to your wireless?
If you leave your PC running then there could be some downloads happening - Antivirus software or Windows updates perhaps? if that's the case then it's nothing to worry about as overnight usage is free so you may as well let it download then!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If you want to guarantee no broadband traffic but don't want to power down your router overnight why not unplug it from the phone socket.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Jameseh
Your best bet will actually be to turn of the power at the mains that supplies your router.

Quote from: chubbscottage
I have tried that but you then have to re-enter the network key to get things going again.  A bit tedious.

Just an alternative to powering off the router if powering off is losing settings that's all PJ
Quote from: PJ
I may be being stupid here-

...and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine