cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Telecom?? B&@$"£* Telecom More like!!

G0FHM
Grafter

British Telecom?? B&@$"£* Telecom More like!!

Hi Guys,
Just a bit of a rant and steam letting off session this, so please bear with me!!
<RANT>
My step dad passed away back in January (not unexpectedly I hasten to add), and was with BT for everything (Phone, BB & TV).
A week later, I rang BT on her behalf, asking for the TV to be cancelled (mum would rather read a book), and asking for a MAC for the broadband, citing the recent events. After some belligerence and the ensuing verbal smack down by myself, they agreed, and stated that there were no outstanding contract etc (all had been active for more than 2 years). The MAC was duly supplied to PN, who took over the BB on the line, and placed the order for Home phone (the exchange is LLU, so worked out  lot cheaper).
Nearly 6 weeks later, the home phone order keeps getting batted back by BT, citing "outstanding orders" on the line.
I've rang BT this evening, as mum has asked me to get involved as dealing with BT is always an uphill struggle.... you need nerves of steel to tolerate them in my experience. According to the nice call centre operator in Bombay/Bangalore/Delhi (Delete as appropriate) who struggled with his own language, let alone English, BT still hold sole rights to the line. According to them, no MAC was ever issued and they are still supplying BB to the property. Err... hello? Why is mum connecting via the PN supplied router, with her PN user/pass combination then?? BT werent able to answer that question!!
By the time I had come down from the ceiling after getting the feeling I was swimming in custard (the little twerp seemed more intent on apologizing for our loss than actually sorting the problem), I rang PN CSC, and was advised to ring BT back, and ask to speak to somebody higher up the food chain to get this resolved.
By the time that was done, it had gone 21.00, and BT had gone home for the afternoon.
The upshot? I've lost my rag with BT now, and tomorrow the "boss" is going to get involved and go the full 8 rounds with BT on our behalf.... she's very good with people like them, using lots of big words and basically being a right nasty cow, without them actually realising at the time! She can reduce a grown man to tears, without lifting a finger when she needs to (no, not me either!)  Cheesy
Anyway, now I've sounded off, I'd like to big up PN for their helpful, Knowledgeable CSC staff (whenever I've had cause to call, they have actually understand what I'm on about... if I say it's an ATM problem, they know what I'm talking about, as opposed to reading from a script). Keep it up guys!
</RANT>
Has anybody  else had similar problems with BT not transferring service when they should? seems like poor old mum is getting billed twice still  Cry
And for the benefit of any PN staff reading, the Ticket # is 33026733 so you can get a better idea what we're up against.
Cheers, and thanks for listening!
James
9 REPLIES 9
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: British Telecom?? B&@$"£* Telecom More like!!

I can empathise with that, James - I used to work for them, and they're still a PITA to deal with. Lord knows what it's like if one has no 'insider' knowledge.
One thing you might try if phoning again: go along with the button pressing at the first two menus, then sit tight and don't press anything. After a while, the voice will say "Press (9, IIRC) to speak to one of our agents - it'll be someone in the UK.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Mand
Grafter

Hi James,
I've just tried calling but unfortunately there was no answer.
If you want to check the tickets, progress has been made. Smiley
G0FHM
Grafter

Thanks for that little snippet of information!
Mand Beckett has also done some work today a result of a raised ticket, and managed to push the phone transfer through following "A call to our suppliers"  Cheesy
She also suggested I go back to BT, and ask them to provide RADIUS logs.... this will prove that the BB has been transferred, as they will not be able to provide them!
Luckily the missus didnt have time to ring BT today, so I'm about to have the pleasure of it  Wink
Maybe threatening them with OFCOMedy will do the trick if they refuse to play ball?
Thanks both,
James
G0FHM
Grafter

Thanks Mand,
You replied to the post while I was busy formulating my reply!!
I've already checked the ticket (as you can see from my previous post), and kudos is due!!
I'm about to ring BT using the method suggested by Force E, and I will ask them for RADIUS logs and see what gives  Cheesy
Thanks for the help, I'm sure mum will be grateful when she gets back from hols!
James
G0FHM
Grafter

Well, Force E's method of getting through to BT does NOT appear to get through to the UK anymore....... 3 phonecalls, fobbed off by someone I can barely understand, and the call gets terminated by the operator (well, it clicks and I get the solid tone) when I start pressing for answers. But, according to the first guy I spoke to the line is still Registered with BT providing Phone (not for much longer) and Broadband (was transferred 5 or 6 weeks ago).
I'm gonna let the missus have a go now, as I'm about to lose my rag and say something that could land me in trouble If I have to ring BT again. Else, it's OFCOMedy tomorrow.
James
G0FHM
Grafter

Sorted.....
The other half managed to get through to an English speaking "Manager" at BT (Read Patronising old bag!).
Basically, she said that they have had NO communication from another telecoms supplier, and that PlusNet were lying to us...... and when challenged with all of the dates that PN attempted transfer (have them all on a ticket), she basically accused PN of making them up!!! Oh, and there was never any reason that a transfer couldnt have gone ahead, so again PN were telling porkies.
And as far as the broadband is concerned, that is showing as transferred, BT have NO interest in anything other than the landline service at that address. And come 5th of May, they wont even have that  Grin
But, this still raises questions as to why the call centre ops are telling people just the opposite of what "management" (I use the term VERY loosely with BT) are telling people. I mean, to tell people that there are 2 lines into the address, one is deactivated (ISDN from the old "Home Highway" days) which so far is fair do's.... but then to turn round and state that BT are still "prowiding"  Broadband at this address, and that no MAC was ever issued, is a bit beyond the pail.......
May still have a word with OFCOM, and see what they say....
Aaarrghhh!!!
But hopefully, thanks to Mand & Clair, things may well be sorted.
Cheers,
James
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: G0FHM
Well, Force E's method of getting through to BT does NOT appear to get through to the UK anymore.......

Oh dear  Embarrassed back to the drawing board...
Good to see that things are improving in your last post.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
G0FHM
Grafter

Well, that's 4 times of getting India... me x3 and "the boss" x1... although she didnt faff about and asked to go straight to the top of the food chain the moment the call was answered  Smiley
Hopefully things will be sorted now, although I do suspect that BT werent "playing the game" in the hope that constant failures would make the customer drop the transfer in the end, and stay with them, as I know that they hate losing revenue, and like to think that despite LLU etc, they are still "god".
Either that, or there are some serious inadequacies in their databases..... matey in India could well have been working from 6 month old information, it does tend to make you wonder!
Ahhh sod it, I'll have a word with OFCOM tomorrow, and see what they say.... I'm in the mood for a ruck now, and nothing would give me more pleasure than sticking one over on BT  Cheesy
Cheers,
James
Mand
Grafter

As per the update on the ticket, the manager was partially right, if a little short of knowledge. Smiley
Seems like we're finally getting somewhere though. Smiley