cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge two routers wirelessly

FIXED
mccall55uk

Bridge two routers wirelessly

I have been looking through the various forums for guidance and whilst this is been partially discussed previously. I have not been able to find a solution.

My main router is a Sagemcom 2704n, this is located in my living room and provides my wireless broadband connection for the house, I also have various devices connected to it via Ethernet cables.

I have recently installed CCTV which comes with a DVR and can also be accessed through the internet via apps. The DVR station is located in a hall cupboard, and to test the system I used a long Ethernet cable from the DVR to the router in the living room and all was well. However, obviously I do not want to have cables running through the hallways and so have been looking to use another router I have, a Technicolor TG582n to connect to the DVR by Ethernet and then connect wirelessly to the internet via the Sagemcom router in the living room.

The two "solutions" I have attempted was firstly to download a "bridge template" and to then FTP this into the TG582n. After switching to this mode, the settings tell me that the router is now in bridge mode but I cannot get it to connect. The second solution was to use the Telnet Command function to update the router as suggested in this forum but again I cannot connect.

I suspect that whilst I am probably correctly doing the initial setups, I am failing to correctly deal with IP addresses, Firewalls etc and I have been unable to locate anything that clearly lays out what I need to do. I have also looked into using DD-WRT but from what I can see, the TG582n is not supported.

My apologies for the length of this post but hopefully this sets out my issue. Can anyone confirm if what I am after is possible and if so, how to properly set up the router?

Many thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Bridge two routers wirelessly

Fix

I'm pretty sure that the TG582n won't do what you require. You need something that will support a 'wireless client bridge' mode and I don't believe the TG582n will.If you've got ( or can aquire ) old router that is supported by DD-WRT  then that will support the correct mode https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge .

Alternatively something like this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5987685 appears ( from reading the manual! ) to support it.

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mccall55uk

MisterW, thanks very much for taking the time to respond. I need to remember that taking the easier route usually saves alot of time!! Gave up on trying to "format" the router so went with your suggestion of getting a plugin WiFi extender, got a different one from the link into your post, the TP-Link was only £1 extra and came with a 3 year guarantee. Plugged it in, connected the DVR Ethernet, pressed the WPS on the main router and instantly connected to the WiFi / Internet. Can now access my CCTV app. Old router is now back in its box. Thanks again.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Happy to be of help. I did look at the TP-link (WA850E I presume ?) but whilst it did offer the wireless bridge support it seemed to always provide a wireless extender function as well. Wasn't sure if that would cause possible problems with other wireless devices. Having had a good look at the manual it does seem like you can turn off the extended wireless network. From the tp link web gui, go to Wireless->Extended Network and uncheck the Enable box then Save. That should disable the extended network whilst (hopefully!) still allowing it to function as a wireless bridge.  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mccall55uk

Yip, it was the WA850E. Didn't have to change any settings, worked great straight out of the box with no interference to other wireless devices. Fingers crossed, all good. Cheers.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I've done the bridged router thing with my IP Camera, in my case I'm using my old D-Link DIR-615 router with DD-WRT installed on it, set up as a "Repeater" bridge, so my wired IP cam can transmit to my main router and then onto the NVR server via wired connections, works a treat... Smiley

But yeah, the TG582n is about as much use as a door wedge, no point trying anything with those... Smiley