cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootup Password

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Bootup Password

When my wife bought a laptop a few years ago, the first time she used it, it asked for a password at bootup. In her ignorance, she put in a password. Since then, whenever she has a problem with the pc, she asks me to take a look at it. This normally happens at a time when she isn't able to spend even the few minutes starting the machine, so I have a long wait until she can deal with the password. She wont tell me the password because she uses it elsewhere, but even she says this bootup password is a nuisance.
So my question to you is "how can I get rid of the need for this password at bootup?" I cannot even find a way of changing it. If I could, it would help as long as it doesn't change the password where she uses one in those other places.
My thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Bootup Password

is that a bootup aka bios password or Windows login password
penneck
Aspiring Pro

It comes up when the laptop is booting up heading for Windows (8 if memory serves me correctly). I think it also occurs when the pc is on but hasn't been used for a while.
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That sounds like it's a Windows login password - you should be able to change it in the "User Accounts" settings in Control Panel.
On Windows 7, I keep the password set (which means Windows continues to think it's a secure Administrator-level account, so certain networking and sharing features are enabled), but I used the Advanced Users control panel to set it not to ask for the password on startup and automatically login to the account.  (You then also have to use the Power Settings control panel and Screensaver control panel to stop it asking for the password (on the "Welcome" screen) when the computer is woken up from the screensaver or from "sleep" or "hibernate".)
To access the Advanced Users control panel, I right-click inside a folder (e.g. the User's account root folder), then follow "New > Shortcut".  Then enter "netplwiz" in the location box and give it a sensible name like "Advanced Users Control Panel".  Then you double-click on your new shortcut, and the control panel appears.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

mr GOOGLE came up with this
To enable your computer to not require a password to login to Windows 8, perform the following:

Press Windows key + R to open command prompt. Type "netplwiz" into the command promp. OR - Press Windows key + Q to open search, and type "netplwiz". Click it and open it.
    Uncheck "user must enter user name and password to use this computer", then click "ok".
    Enter your user name and password, then click "ok".
    Restart your computer.
Now you don’t need to enter the username and password each time when you logon the Windows 8.
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
penneck
Aspiring Pro

That seems to have done the trick
Thanks to all
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

With Windows 8 you either sign-in to a Microsoft Account of a Local Account.  Removing the password from a Microsoft Account will turn it into a Local Account - check this is what your wife wants.  http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/sign-in-to-windows-8-microsoft-account-versus-lo...