Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Problems.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Boot Problems.

Not sure if this is a Software or hardware fault but my other computer fails to boot up......... the error message it comes up with is  Hard Disk  S.M.A.R.T. Command failed so is this a software or hardware fault. ?
Second question what's the easiest way to rectify it ?
Tried Gparted on it but this just goes into a loop.
Tried a Linux installation disk but got nowhere with that.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Boot Problems.

Sounds like a fault with the hard drive. If it's definitely plugged in alright (both power and IDE/SATA depending on the connection type) then you could try disabling SMART in the BIOS, but if there's a fault with the drive then it might not last too long. It should boot with SMART turned off as that's where the error comes from, but I'd recommend backing up as soon as you manage to get it booted and replacing the drive, or at least returning to the manufacturer if it's still within guarantee.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Boot Problems.

Thanks for the response, It's a very old drive and I have certainly had my moneys worth out of it.
No need to back anything up as anything important is transferred to an external hard drive, if it's very important then backed up to a second external hard drive and if it's something I cannot afford to lose then it's copied to a DVD as well as the 2 hard drives.
We are born into history and history is born into us.