Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boosters....??

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Boosters....??

Quote from: bubbalicious
It has so many sound settings and also some 'effects' I dont know the meaning of..dont even know what to call them to search the internet!  They are sliders with the following 100hz,  300hz,  1khz,  3khz,  10khz!
I have a real problem where loud noises and vibrations cause pain in my amputated leg. Things on tv like football match crowds,  screaming audiences, those films where lots of loud car engines, heavy strong music beats send my leg loopy....could one of these settings take those kind of noises quieter, or can anyone tell me what they are called so I can search the internet!!,.....

Try reducing the bass (100Hz) slider. It may make the sound a bit "thin".
Many TV's employ bass boost to try to make it sound more live.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bubbalicious
Grafter

Great,  Cheesy Cheesy thank you, i'd rather have thin sounding than the alternative!  Its hard to tell on normal tv program, and watching a noisy program usually makes me turn it off before I can play with all the settings to see what works....ill slide the 100hz all the way down!
I  wish these manufacturers woul tell you how to use these setting they put in their devices.....or at least what they are!!
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Back to the Wi-Fi problem...silly question but now old/news is your house? Reason I ask is that mine is four years old and the plasterboard has a metallized backing (can't use a metal wire detector which is a pain), and this inhibits the Wi-Fi signal. 
I was lucky in that I have a telephone point in the room that I need Wi-Fi, so I just moved the router. Is that an option, or perhaps get an extra telephone point in the room. A low tech solution?
bubbalicious
Grafter

I just wanted to recheck my old broadband connection in the bedroom, I am sure it wasn’t working, but have confused myself so much now, can someone please help me again and confirm what I am seeing means it isn’t working! Huh
the router I am using is a Technicolor TG582n
I have connected a filter to the broadband line and my router through that. The laptop is connected to the router via the ethernet cable.
The lights on the router are POWER LIGHT constant green,  ETHERNET no light, BROADBAND blinking green,  WIFI constant green.
using the 192.168.1..... that I usually use to acccess the router ( with the ethernet cable from router to PC),  when I get to the gateway I get the message

Connection could not be established: Could not bring up link
Your DSL connection is down. Verify that your Technicolor Gateway is correctly connected to your phone line. If the problem persists, check your documentation.

The laptop, TV and also my phone all find the wifi, but can’t then connect! when I use the laptop to view my possible wifi connections, the SSID I want shows 4bars and a yellow exclamation mark, and states limited!
Am I right in therefore thinking this is a broken connection???? and so not useable to sort my TV wifi problem, or am I missing something or doing something wrong??? Crazy
Ps this line does work okay as a phone line!
VileReynard
Hero

You must NOT use a filter on the router - it blocks the internet signal.
But you must use a filter for phones etc.

bubbalicious
Grafter

Crikey, think I must be loosing it! Crazy
I always put the filter directly in my phone socket, then the phone in phone connection of the filter, then router into the dsl hole on the filter?...perhaps that's my problem!
  Im staring at the back of my router at all the 'holes', I connect it by putting he cable (rj45) into the dsl socket on the router, the other end of cable also has a rj45 end, but all my  wall sockets only have phone line holes in them,  if not use a filter, how do I connect it to the wall socket...I'm confused, (guess by now you'll realise thats's not hard)!!! I thought was how I always connect the router..
Sorry, 'I'm trying!, according to my famly...very trying,(nice)  :(!!!
TORPC
Grafter

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm using these homeplugs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4 (£14.98 & free delivery).
The one I use to connect my TV or Humax Freesat box is plugged in to a surge protector strip and it's absolutely fine. The homeplug connected to the router is in a wall socket (on a different ring main which you are also not supposed to be able to do).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bubbalicious
Grafter

Thanks for kindly providing  the diagram.  Smiley
comparing the diagram and also the instructions on the PlusNet support pages for my router, I have always connected my router exactly as shown, and they show the router going in to the filter before going in to the wall phone socket! 
I'm really confused...... as to what is meant by " You must NOT use a filter on the router - it blocks the internet signal." in an earlier post?  Undecided Undecided
So if therefore I am connecting the router correctly, does that mean the lack of connection I am getting by plugging the router into the phone socket in my bedroom is because it is definitely 'broken'?
The messages I see through accessing the router gateway are  (the connection using the same router is fine in other rooms of the house with phone sockets)!
[i]Connection could not be established: Could not bring up link
Your DSL connection is down. Verify that your Technicolor Gateway is correctly connected to your phone line. If the problem persists, check your documentation.

Lights on the router (connected to the wall via a filter and also to my laptop using an Ethernet connection) are POWER LIGHT constant green,  ETHERNET no light, BROADBAND blinking green,  WIFI constant green.
This bedroom broadband It hasn't worked for years, but I thought you never know....perhaps it's mended itsef!! Roll_eyes  I always thought if it works as a phone line, doesn't that mean it should work as broadband, but as I am learning, what I think and how things actually work are completely different things!
Thanks peeps, :D, guess I am going to have to get boosters after all!!!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That post was rather too terse so confusing if not completely wrong
You mustn't connect the router via the phone outlet from a filter but then again to do that you would need to have two filters in series to get the correct connection fitting
As the standard router connection won't fit into a standard phone socket without an adapter a filter is virtually always needed
I hope this helps
VileReynard
Hero

Just so long as you have follow steps 3 & 4 - with the internet cable plugged into the internet side.

bubbalicious
Grafter

Sorry I confuse myself, goodness knows what I do to others!! Roll_eyes Crazy
Yes, I have followed the steps 3 and 4 on the router setup and still no change in the bedroom broadband connection:'( Cry
I'm on the verge of  thinking maybe I should give up and just buy those boosters, and stop pestering you lovely folks on the forum!! 
But I had my eye on some lovely shoes,  but if I will do these silly things like buy smart TVs, and expect them to work on the wifi........., guess the shoes will have to stay in the shop!!!
I'm going to have one attempt at connecting the second router to my current network to boost the signal following the link someone kindly provided, but if it's too complicated, or too scary, i'll give up and give in!!
Thanks guys, wish me luck (I'm sure I'll need it)!!!!!aaaahhhhh Shocked

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A quick question - do you have a filtered faceplate on your master socket to which you normally attach the router
If you have then all extensions in the house will be filtered and hence broadband won't work on them
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Presumably, you have plugged a phone into the socket in the bedroom...... and ..... presumably it works ?  i.e. got a dial tone... and you can dial out on the phone.
You can then check the connections behind the face plate on the bedroom socket.... there should be two wires,  with the same colour type codeing.... i.e.  blue with white trace  twisted pair with white with blue trace.... or orange/white    with    white/orange  or green/white  with  white/green 
see pic....  http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/images/twisted_pair_cable.jpg ; This wire should be single strand hard drawn copper with individual colour coded insulation.
make sure the connections that the wires make are good and solid..( some are just push fit... others may be screw fit. )
Make a note of the "pair" and then check/follow the line back to the previous socket  (possibly the main incoming socket )... take off the bottom half and check that the connections are good and solid and the same "pair"...
In both ends the connections should be made to numbers 2 & 5..  but make sure that each number 2  or number 5 connecting wire is the same colours each end...
If all the above is correct, then there should be no reason why you should not be able to connect your router to your bedroom socket and connect to the internet.. ( using the double filter as in diagram )..
Because the extension is "hard wired" into the master box, there is no need for a filter connection on that line, until it gets to the extension socket.
Just a thought...  you are using a "proper" hard wire connection to the bedroom and not a "flexible telephone extension lead"  ? ? ?    see pic....  http://www.kenable.co.uk/images/41523105.jpg ; this is very flexible, usually white outer flat sheathing.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Well, I'm amazed!! I followed the link kindly provided in an earlier post and setup and old DLink router as a booster to my original router and it actually works, more than that, shockingly I managed to do it!! Cool Cool
the overall signal in the bedroom is now greatly improved and areas I didn't get wifi, or it was rubbish, I now do......but of course the TV is still a problem!  It now gets 2 bars of signal but one minute it connects, the next it says "unable to connect to the internet, 1 log into your internet service network. 2 contact your service provider!!!, even though it still has 2 bars of wifi!!!  Then it will go back to being connected -- really annoying!  I had 15mins of watching iplayer this afternoon before it disconnected again and then 30mins before I could re-establish connection! Huh
To the point about the broadband/phone in my bedroom.  The phone line part is working okay, Ive always had a pone plugged in and never been a problem!
The phone/broaband was installed when the extension was built and comes in through a plate on the wall - further than that, I haven't got a clue, I told the electrician I wanted broadband and a phone line  and they dealt with it!
Frustratingly it sits behind my very heavy wardrobe (sorry shoe addict!!) to get to it is going to be some feat, I also don't know if I should be let loose on wires!!  I guess now I have to decide if it is worth getting someone in who can move my furniture and look at the socket or give up and try either the boosters or the 'plug' things to bring a wired connection in?
Replying to the question about whether I have a filtered face plate on my master socket, no I don't think so. BT had to come out a couple of years ago to repair an issue outside the house with the broadband, they put a new faceplate on my master socket in the house, I remember he did tell me it meant if I needed to test my broadband I wouldn't need to remove the front cover as I had been previously...if that means anything?!!  I do have a phone line extension upstairs coming through a wall mounted socket and one in the kitchen, they both work fine and I do have the little filters that come with the routers plugged in!  One of these 'extensions' has my router plugged in at the moment and latops, phones and tablets are all wifi connected to the internet through it! ............i'm guessing if the extensions work then I don't have a filtered face plate on my master socket!
Why can't these things be simple and easy!  Sad Sad