cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boosters....??

bubbalicious
Grafter

Boosters....??

Does anyone have any experience of wifi boosters they would happily share please? Grin
I upgraded last year to get a standard plusnet supplied thomson N router, but the signal coverage is still a lot poorer in range than I would a) hope and b) need! I've tried all the usual tricks but am now looking at boosters! I bought a new smart tv, but signal just not strong enough to make full use of it!  Frustratingly being in a wheelchair its not that easy to move my tv furniture around tc to get stronger signal....its as positional as couple feet one way or other and I get good signal! I get 1 bar wifi at the best where it is!
Although iI do find my router drops connection for few minutes sometimes daily. Speeds ok at 6mb+, its just the range not great...I'm maybe 50metres from router.
Do I need to look for same make a particular make work best with my wireless router,  does anyone have one they can suggest, ive read so many reviews etc, my brain is spinning! Crazy
BT have told me if I changed to their broadband, I wouldnt have this issue, am I correct thinking theyre wrong?!
31 REPLIES 31
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Boosters....??

Just to check - do you actually mean 50 metres as that is a heck of a long way
Re the BT comment - not sure as the HomeHub is believed to be better than the Plusnet router
Does the TV support wireless N
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could use ethernet over the mains supply for about £20 - £30.
This would act like a wired connection.
Some examples:- http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=61
Note:- you need a pair of these plugs.
You could still use wireless for PC use.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bubbalicious
Grafter

Ooops - sadly no I don't live in a country mansion - it's more like 5 metres at the most from the router!!!!  Cheesy
I don't know about my tv, if it is 802.11n? I have trawled through the many, many TV settings, menus, 195 page user guide and it doesn't seem to say! (John Lewis have stuck the delivery sticker right acrross all the 'bits included' list on the box, if that was to show it?)  Its an Samsung Smart UE22F5400,  even Amazon don't say. I can ring Samsung tomorrow - I hope they should be able to tell me!
The TV does connect to the wifi and does have a signal (sometimes) but never it never gets past a 1 bar in strength...  if it was so 'smart' it should be clever enough to manage with that much!!!! Saying that my samsung Laptop that is definitely an 802.11n also shows the same signal issue if I put it where the TV is, must be a dead spot!
Thank you, I have looked at the link you kindly provided to the plugged type boosters. They look quite simple, but do I have to have an ethernet port in the TV? - sorry I get I plug one booster into the ethernet on the router, but does it then mean I need to connect the other plug/box in the TV through a wired connection - i don't know if my TV has that capability?
The BT point is interesting!  I get annoyed that they can't figure out why my broadband drops in and out! They tell me to ring them when it happens, but by the time I have to wait to get through to someone its back up again, so they can't diagnose it!!  I thought they were just saying it wouldn't happen with their broadband was a sales push .....I've been with PlusNet so long, I would rather find another work around!
Cheers guys, as always I appreciate your time and advice!  Crikey i thought a TV was simple compared to a laptop, getting used to this smart thing is seeming more like a PC that TV!! Huh

VileReynard
Hero

You will need a ethernet port on the TV.
You are correct in assuming that you need to connect the other plug to the TV, via a short piece of ethernet cable.
Surely they don't expect you to rely on wifi? Roll_eyes
There are further possibilities - but the complexity will increase by quite a bit.
For example, do you have a spare router with wifi capability?

bubbalicious
Grafter

Oooh, what a coincidence! Huh I was going through a cupboard today and found my old 'B' and 'G' router and also an antique wired broadband box,  I nearly threw them out but decided to keep as  spares - as far as I know they all still work!

I have searched the epic user manual and have found that it will allow me to connect through an Lan - (sorry took me a while to work out to search LAN not ethernet :-[!!!) It says the following ....does this sound like I can do the easier option? 
This is what the guide states...
Wired Network
There are three ways to connect the TV to a Local Area Network (LAN).
●● External Modem
●● ① IP Router + ② External Modem
●● Wall-mounted LAN Outlet

[b]
Automatic Wired Network Setup The TV's wired network connection is automatically configured when it is connected to a network that  supports DHCP.

Manual Wired Network Setup If the network requires a static IP address, enter the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS values to connect to the network manually. To get the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS values,contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Refer to the "Dynamic versus Static IP Addresses" for  more information.
I know, Honestly I have these silly ideas of buying a TV that works with Wifi and then expect it to actually work using wifi - it must be the blonde hair!!! Crazy
Thanks  ......ps your really not 'vile'!!! Grin
pps  I also managed to find this statement on the samsung website for my TV  This TV supports the IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n communication protocols. Samsung recommends using IEEE 802.11n. Otherwise when you play video over a network connection, the video may not play smoothly.
VileReynard
Hero

Try viewing a programme on iplayer - full screen in the best place in the house.
If it can't keep up without stopping then wifi is probably no good for your TV even the 'N' version.
All wireless routers support DHCP (they also include a built-in modem if you are on ADSL).
If you should have a fibre connection (unlikely) the modem is a separate box.
So the ●● ① IP Router + ② External Modem (easy option) applies to you.
Note that the speed of your ethernet would be dependent on the "quality" of your mains wiring if you use homeplugs.

Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool For everyone else :: Good domestic routers often come with teensy aerials - or non at all. If a router has a small ~9dB aerial, you can try upsizing it to a ~16dB one and get an instant signal gain. Check eBay for 'hi-gain wifi aerials'. Or replace the aerial with a directional wi-fi aerial and point it where the signal is most needed - rather than bleeding waves into the house next door. Better aerials are a good upgrade for your wifi without spending more than £20.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Sorry I had to wait for a family member to move my TV for me, last time I tried resting a TV on my lap on the wheelchair to move it, lets just say it wasn't pretty!!! Embarrassed
Now it has been to where I get a strong wifi signal, I was able to watch something on the iplayer,  and all the 'smart' aspects, apps and films etc show fine, but as soon as I move it back to the bedroom, the signal drops in and out and I loose it being smart!  Soooo annoying, 2 feet one way and its Ok!!!! Angry
I was also looking at the mains sockets near the TV, do these 'ethernet over the mains supply' work if it was plugged into and extension cable, or do they have to go into one in the wall!  The surge potection extension cable has phone in and put sockets - I always wondered what they are for, can I run a router out of them!!!!????? Undecided
I used to put silver foil on my old routers aerial to boost the signal and it worked quite well, but the new router doesn't have a 'sticky out aerial' can I add one to make it stronger, or do I need a router with a 'sticky out aerial' (I know I'm so good at the technical terminology!!!) router is Technicolor TG582n
Thanks again peeps for the advice
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero

They say these powerplugs have to be plugged directly into a wall socket, but mine seem to work OK
on a multi-socket extension. I think a "surge protection" extension wouldn't work though.
To boost your signal with a better aerial (or silver foil) you almost certainly need an external stick aerial.
If desperate, you could try putting your router in a biscuit tin (open side facing the TV),
but I really don't think that would work as the tin wouldn't be earthed.

TORPC
Grafter

could run a wire from the tin to the nearest radiator (providing the radiator has been earthed)
VileReynard
Hero

Desperate measures indeed! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

bubbalicious
Grafter

Not sure about the biscuit tin, but hey good excuse to eat some! I do have an old netgear G router, it does have a removable aerial..is the N signal alot better than G, or could a better aerial in the G router be stronger than my current N! Undecided
I dont have a  radiator close enough to try that one either!!  Embarrassed
looks like I'LL have to fork out some £££s .....thought id got a bargain price on my tv, didnt think id need pay out for extras..if I was wise id just use the tv without the smart aspect, but I'm not!, I guess I can try the extension, if doesnt work ill find a wall plug!
One little thing bugging me about the tv settings is it has wierd sound settings. It has so many sound settings and also some 'effects' I dont know the meaning of..dont even know what to call them to search the internet!  They are sliders with the following 100hz,  300hz,  1khz,  3khz,  10khz!
I have a real problem where loud noises and vibrations cause pain in my amputated leg. Things on tv like football match crowds,  screaming audiences, those films where lots of loud car engines, heavy strong music beats send my leg loopy....could one of these settings take those kind of noises quieter, or can anyone tell me what they are called so I can search the internet!!,.....
honestly I thought this TV was smart and would explain these things!! 
Thanks again peeps, its lovely you're always so kind to help me get myself out of the 'pickles I get myself in'!!
Hope all have lovely bank holiday, and sun keeps shining!!!! Roll_eyes Cool
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

This might be of interest.....

or this...

Haven`t watched either of them....but there are other vids on the same theme.... or you can use an old beer can.... empty tin of beans..... around the "sticky out aerial".... (vids on how to do that too )...
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheesy Thanks for the links, the first one scares the heck out of me with 'fiddling' with my system and things i don't understand and might mess my laptop up!!!
The second one however looks a lot easier and lots of great comments about it's success!  Before I splash out on a pair of the boosters, I think it's definitely worth a try and won't cost me anything!
I'll try it over the weekend, and  let you know how I get on......wish me luck!!!  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes

For future reference are routers with the 'sticky out aerials' better? Undecided