4) Expand "Local Computer Policy"
5) Expand "Computer Configuration"
6) Expand "Administrative Templates"
7) Expand "Network"
8 ) Click "QoS Packet Scheduler"
9) Double Click "Limit reservable bandwidth"
10) Click "Enabled"
11) Change "Bandwith limit (%): 20" to 0
Congratulations! Now just reboot your computer and run this speed test: http://www.speedtest.net/wave/2954d273c5beacb6
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Boost your speed up to 20% for FREE!

I would be wary of this as disabling the QoS in windows could impact those programs which use it
http://www.speed-up-pc.org/speed_up_internet/disable_reserved_bandwidth.php
Disable Reserved Bandwidth
Windows reserves 20% of your bandwidth for QoS traffic, for example Windows Update, streaming videos or audio, Voip applications, etc.. You have an option to disable this reserved bandwidth to get access to 100% of your bandwidth. However, please take note that the 20% reserved bandwidth is only used when QoS applications need it. You always have access to 100% of your bandwidth when these QoS applications are not in use so only disable the 20% reserved bandwidth when it doesn't harm your experience with these applications.
Warning: Disabling the reserved bandwidth might cause problems with applications that use this bandwidth, for example Windows Update, VOIP or streaming video applications.
Moved to Windows Board as it is specific to that operating system
prichardson
Grafter

Indeed,
For the most part, only wireless users are even likely to see reservation taking place anyway.
Bear in mind that is reservations is computed on what windows sees as the link speed. So on Ethernet, 20% means you have 80Mbps available that is not reserved.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

However, please take note that the 20% reserved bandwidth is only used when QoS applications need it. You always have access to 100% of your bandwidth when these QoS applications are not in use

so really, doing all the Orignal Poster has said, will not make the slightest bit of difference to the "normal" speed, as it is only  REDUCED when QoS applications (etc) are in use.....  Undecided
dfunked
Grafter

Seems to be a bit of a barse ackwards way of doing things to be honest... As it is I get throughput which is pretty much bang on what I would expect based on what my IP profile is. Windows update and other services which use QoS run infrequently enough to not make a blind bit of difference to your typical speeds.