Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookmarks

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Bookmarks

I wish to copy my extensive bookmarks list from one FireFox to FireFox on another computer. But not lose the list on the first computer.

One method I've looked at suggests the "donor" FireFox will lose its bookmarks, is this so?

That one computer is Win7 (the donor) the other Win 10 I hope shouldn't make any difference...hopefully.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bookmarks

Using FF on Apple Mac OSX (Should be same for Windows)

Menu... Show all bookmarks...

Then two options, rhs drop down menu

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 08.58.34.jpg

Backup all sub directories.

Does not destroy nor remove current Bookmarks

Then restore / import on second computer

I also save to a backups directory

(I use this all the time to backup my bookmarks)

If not exactly the same, Windows must have some equivalent menus

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Easy-peasy... use  "X-marks" ... you should be able to google that,  I think it is a firefox addon... I use it across three computers... and it updates instantly... 

When you boot up the second computer, it should automatically update to what you had on the previous computer.. so, if yesterday, you bookmarked 6 new pages... and today you went to scotland, with your netbook, and booted up.. your bookmarks would be the same as yesterdays machine..

this link may work for you...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/search/?q=xmarks&appver=52.0&platform=windows

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

even easier , lust log into Firefox sync Smiley  it saves your bookmarks so any PC , tablet or phone every time you log it it shows all your bookmarks . No add on,s so simple

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Sync-and-Save/How-do-I-set-up-Sync-on-my-computer/ta-p/21417

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Procedure to backup  bookmarks to an HTML file which can then be restored to a browser on another computer or a different browser on the same computer.

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Basic-Browsing/Export-Firefox-bookmarks-to-an-HTML-file-to-back-up-or...

shutter
Community Veteran

With respect to "backing up bookmarks" procedures....

doesn`t this mean that every time you close the computer you have to back up manually, to ensure the days "takings" have been "banked"..  ? ? ? 

then you have to remember to take a copy of that "back up" file, and install it on the secon/subsequent computers  ? ?

a bit of an archaic system, when Xmarks or Firefox synch does it automatically, and it is available updated no matter how soon you "boot up" the second computer. 

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

totally agree @shutter  Firefox sync , updates every reboot automatically .

so i get all updated bookmarks on my phone or tablet wherever i am 

shutter
Community Veteran

@rongtw  Does FF update automatically, during use... i.e. if you boot up your second computer, do you need to activate the update on the second computer? or are the "new" bookmarks immediately available,   and does it mean the updated version (of the newer bookmark list )..  is not available to the second computer, until a reboot on the first computer ?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@shutter in use Smiley  if i add a  Bookmark on PC  it updates on my phone Thumbs_Up

dont think its instantly but it must update regularly

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

You can also force a resync of the bookmarks on both machines by clicking the 'sync' icon on the Firefox options menu.

shutter
Community Veteran

@rongtw& @NorthPole  OK... Thanks for that info...

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@shutter

The OP asks for a means of transferring bookmarks from one machine to another. Nothing about keeping them in step thereafter. For a one-off transfer the html method is OK and provides an archive should the need to revert arise. 

Also the HTML means of transfer could enable transferring to a different browser if desired.

Other methods have the advantages already mentioned. It just depends on what one is trying to achieve.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Time Machine(s) on my iMacs automatically back up everything, including Bookmarks from  all my browsers, every hour !!

The backup happens on each Time Machine (3 per iMac) automatically in rotation.

And with USB3 & Thunderbolt connections it's very fast.

shutter
Community Veteran

@alanf  Point noted... however,... there seems little point, or advantage of having bookmarks  that are not "up to date".. and would you want to transfer your "old bookmarks" from an old computer to a newer one, even if it were only a week or so, .....  or  from a currently used one to a second one, that did not include your latest finds  ? 

A bit like keeping old bus or train timetables... just in case they  come in handy ... ( not for the historical/monetry value on flog it ! ! )... 

Whilst many of my own bookmarks, I have never referred to, over the years... I would want an "up to date" list to be available on both computers, and I am sure the OP would too... ! 

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Actually I'm not that concerned about both machines having the same up to date bookmarks, I don't add to them that often.

The older machine (Win 7, upgraded several times from the pre-installed Win 98) is showing signs of getting past its sell by date, the newer machine (Win 10 from new) is not used much at this time other than getting it to the same(ish) content spec as the old one so hopefully when the old one finally expires the change over can be as seamless as practicable, this includes the FireFox bookmarks. I very much recall when the hard drive in an even older machine failed I lost a number of cherished bookmarks, that took an age to relocate. I just don't want to have to go through that again.

Otherwise most of the content of the old machine is backed up to an external hard drive that works with both machines, but so far (until now) I hadn't quite worked out the bookmarks.

My thanks to all those who responded. And pointing out it is an easy fix.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.