cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Screen

community
Grafter

Blue Screen

The boot up goes as far as the Blue screen wallpaper but then comes a box asking for username and password....but I did not give it a password when I re-installed the XP...therefore I cannot get in to the startup screen!!
Has anybody had a similar experience and if so knows a solution?Huh
(this occurred after installing updates on XP SP2 Home Edition)
(The thread titled 'New Router/Modem has a background of previous info)
28 REPLIES 28
pcoventry76
Grafter

Re: Blue Screen

This sometimes happens on mine and i believe it to be linked to the networking side of windows - usually if you cancel it goes onto the desktop
I assume it's letting you past the box, there is something you need to change but i can't think of it right now. this will stop it asking for a network logon when you boot up.
I think it's one of the protocols under the properties in your LAN connection that has to be added/removed , but again i'm not 100% sure.
pcoventry76
Grafter

im pretty sure it's going to be to logon - which is a networking protocol at play
community
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
Is it asking for a username and password to log on, or a username and password to access a resource?

Itis asking for a username and password to log on
pcoventry76
Grafter

try this,
Select Run, type control userpasswords2, and click Ok.
Turn off the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok.
let me know if that does or does not work ive got a few other things to try
pcoventry76
Grafter

Sorry i assumed he could as he's posting here.
you should be able to cancel that box and continue
pcoventry76
Grafter

Well it's either the networking box which appears - which was specified in setup - or if not then He setup a admin username and password during setup
Reformat.
pcoventry76
Grafter

no your right i agree reformat is the last option - although it could also be the quickest .This password has to be the one given at setup
community
Grafter

Thanks to James for his calming influence on Pcoventry Smiley
To restate my situation... I am using another PC to contact this forum.... It does not have a CD writer....IMHO re-installing would only replicate the problem of re-installing a system which does not have SP2 Sercice Pack and therefore the task of updating from bill gates will repeat the present problem  >:(....I have alreadytried the "blank password"and it does not work either.... I have looked at another forum where there are loads and loads of threads all about the problem whcih bill gates brought to his public when he put out the SP2!!!!!
I am beginning to warm to the idea of(a)going to a new Dell with Vista or (b) going to MAC but finances rule these out.
thanks again anyway and keep up the suggestions
cheers
community
Grafter

Thank you James.....you have mail..
community
Grafter

I just wonder if using a bootup disk I created earlier would be any use?
I have tried booting up with it but when I get an MS-DOS prompt I have no idea at all what to do with it Undecided
Can anyone suggest?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The other option is a password reset boot CD - but you still need to be able to create a CD!
There are several around, just google for 'windows password reset' or use the one I use here. This has saved me (and many of my clients) on more than one occasion.
community
Grafter

Thanks Peter Vaughan
I have downloaded quite a few possibles as a result of your mail....there is so much available!
One of the points I gleaned from other mail is that it is possible to change your BIOS to negate the need for a password.
I can actually get into my BIOS at the moment, do you think this is worth trying?
cheers
community
Grafter

OK James
Point taken.......
thanks
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: community
One of the points I gleaned from other mail is that it is possible to change your BIOS to negate the need for a password.
I can actually get into my BIOS at the moment, do you think this is worth trying?

You can always get into your BIOS - but it's really (like really) low level stuff to do with your PC. Almost certainly any change you make will have bad effects. In modern computers, it should not be touched unless you know exactly what you are doing (and probably not even then).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."