Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Screen on Shutdown

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Blue Screen on Shutdown

Hi all,
After some help.
Following updating IE, I lost connection to the internet although I could still download email  Huh In the past, when this has happened I need to uninstall Zone Alarm and then reinstall. Did this and connection to the Internet is fine  Smiley Only problem now is that I can't shutdown my PC. Everytime I do, I get the fatal blue screen  Shocked Tried uninstalling Zone Alarm again (As that was the last change), but no different  Angry
Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Blue Screen on Shutdown

Try Firefox  :).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you roll back to a point before the update
samuria
Grafter

You may be able to trace what the problem is by opening taskmanger and when you are ready to shutdown stop process with TM which is basically what happens at shutdown you may then find one blue screens. It may take some time but every time you stop one you will know its not that so its quicker next time.
I would use another account (create one if you havent got one) and see if it happens then as it may be your profile corrupt.
does it happen if you dont open IE? If that is the case try IE with no addons this should be on the menu
Njal
Grafter

Info here may help:
"Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) and the STOP error messages that are displayed is why I suggested you disable the automatic restarts. As cryptic as these messages can be, they do provide a place to begin looking for issues impacting shutdown. To make it a bit easier, I've listed the STOP messages in the table below. A detailed description of each error message is  here."
http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm
Regards,
Neil
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Try Firefox  :).

I do use Firefox most of the time. The IE update came as part of the Auto update
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Can you roll back to a point before the update

I guess that would be before the IE update. Can I uninstall the update?
samuria
Grafter

If you roll back before the update it will be removed if it fixes it make sure you dont download and install it again or it may repeat its self
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Well I took the easy route (but not the shortest  :() and completely wiped the disk and reloaded everything.
The PC is shutting down fine now.
The only minor problem is that when downloading software of the net, I seem to get a very small invalid file rather that the full software. Firefox took about three goes and can't get I Tunes to work at all.  Downloading a 50KB file instead of a 65MB file v Angry Any ideas?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Are you downloading an image file instead of downloading the real thing?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

some programs download a noddy install program that looks at your machine and then go off an collect the rest Cool
StickyMick
Grafter

Seen this behaviour with downloading before. In my case it's always sorted itself out eventually.
As an afterthought though, and I may get lambasted for suggesting this. You can always stop the automatic updates from auto installing and go the manual route. That way you can review and select the updates that you want and need. You just need to check regularly for any updates in future.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dont know why I do and stop it loading rubbish I dont want, at least I have the choice Smiley
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Always have problems installing the windows updates. Have to do something in DOS. Known problem apparently.
It is the other programs. Firefox, I tunes. Adobe PDF Reader took about ten attempts. A couple times it downloaded 70 MB of rubbish and the actual file was only 35MB  Huh