Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Ray

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Blue Ray

Friend of mine has just purchased a Lenovo laptop and thought it came with a drive that could play blueray disks.
The drive is showing as a MATSHITA DVD RAM  UJ8B1AS.
Reads ordinary cd's and dvd's ok but does not seem to recognise a blue ray disk.
Can this drive play blueray disks and if so does it need some additional software for this, from what I can see Windows Media Player & VLC are unable to play blueray.
The laptop is running the home edition of windows 7. This was preloaded with a number of other programs but nothing I can see that could be used as a player for blueray discs.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
3 REPLIES 3
CX
Grafter

Re: Blue Ray

As far as I can well, the UJ8B1 is a DVD+/-RW drive, no Blu-ray, although that's just going on what people have posted elsewhere and not from a spec sheet.
I believe most (all?) Blu-ray drives are listed as "BD-ROM Drive" in Windows 7's "My Computer". What happens when you put the disc in? Even without playback software, it should be able to provide a listing of what's on the disc. If it doesn't even do that, I doubt it's a Blu-ray drive.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I am certain that you are right.
Having checked out the laptop on Amazon some of the reviews on this particular model are lumped together with the variations available, ie larger HDD, additional memory, blueray etc so I think he got it confused with one of the feedback reviews and assumed it was the same specification.
Fortunately it was not an essential item but reminds me of the old saying, check what you have got and then check again to make sure what you have got is what you are actually going to get.
In all fairness I note that at least one reviewer did complain that the specifications advertised were not what was sent.
Fortunately with Amazon goods can always be returned without hassle.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've had a laptop that had a Blu-ray drive in it (Very expensive!) and agree, mine too said 'BD-ROM'.