cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blu-Ray burners, Blank Discs

seanbranagh
Grafter

Blu-Ray burners, Blank Discs

When are they ever going to get down to a reasonable price?
I have my HD TV/PC Monitor,Sky HD etc.
I want to take the next logical step but they are still too expensive!
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Blu-Ray burners, Blank Discs

Supply and demand I suppose.
I would guess that demand is relatively low at the moment.
Like anything as demand, and therefore manufacturing quantities, rise the price will fall.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I remember buying my first DVD burner (4x) and it was about £200 for an internal model, then the blank disks were £3-£4 EACH. Much the same as BR these days.
I would love one to use as a backup media but the cost is just too great at the mo.
johpal
Grafter

Perhaps a little premature, but I think the use of and demand for mechanical, optical discs may have peaked. Solid state memory has increased greatly in capacity and tumbled in price. There are no moving parts in the read/write process so they  are more robust and compact than discs.  DivX (and other formats) HD movies are increasingly available for streaming and files occupy comparatively small amounts of space.
Blu ray may never achieve enough uptake to offer scale of production economies.
seanbranagh
Grafter

You are probably right but I still prefer an old fashioned disc over solid state storage. What about electromagnetic interference? Can that corrupt solid state storage?
I have heard countless horror stories about UBS flash drives going bad at least.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: johpal
There are no moving parts in the read/write process so they  are more robust and compact than discs.  DivX (and other formats) HD movies ...

I can tell you for long term storage, do not rely of FLASH memory as used in SSD or USB devices. SSD is slightly different but not significantly. For now, I would always rely on DVDR or a Mirrored NAS.
Of course a BDR disc holds much more than a DVDR, so if you compare the pence/hour of storage, the difference is not so great.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: godsell4
I can tell you for long term storage, do not rely of FLASH memory as used in SSD or USB devices. SSD is slightly different but not significantly. For now, I would always rely on DVDR or a Mirrored NAS.

I agree. I use mirrored discs in my fileserver (Linux Soft Raid 1). The only problem is that it is just not practical to continously add disks to my network which is why I would like blu-ray to start clearing some space.
I would like to remove everything that is not needed regurarly but still needs kept.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I, too, am waiting for the cost of Blu-ray burners to come down along with the media.
So far, I have 12 HDDs of various sizes in use and several that can be swapped in when required. I'd much rather back up my data, movies, photos, etc, to disc but DVD is just not an option as I don't want that many discs around especially as my intention is to double up on all my backups.
Like HairyBiker my first DVD burner was around £200.
Will Bu-ray burning really take off as much as DVD? I'm not so sure as, I would have thought that, the majority of users may be people who just do not really need that level of storage and, having got to grips with DVDs, propably don't want further hassle. Perhaps there's many who don't even know it exists.
But then I may be wrong...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You will need a lot of blue ray disks - don't think they hold more than 50GB - but you can get a 2TB (that's 2,000GB) disk for about £60.  Grin
Just sync a couple of hard disks for security.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."