Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking windows 7

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Blocking windows 7

I Have to use my router to access my printer using  wifi, why windows cannot connect to the printer directly as both are wifi enabled I have no idea so I am using a  wireless connection via the router, what I do not want is for windows 7 to connect to the Internet as I always use Linux for that purpose.
What is the easiest way for me to block windows 7 from having contact to the Internet but at the same time still allowing it to have a connection to the modem ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
4 REPLIES 4
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Blocking windows 7

Quote from: gleneagles

What is the easiest way for me to block windows 7 from having contact to the Internet but at the same time still allowing it to have a connection to the modem ?

That's possible with DrayTek routers by using the 'Bind IP to Mac' - 'Strict Bind' option.  Not sure about other routers.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

go into the network adaptor settings on the windows enter a static ip address within the 192.168.1.xxx range (preferably outside the normal 100>200 dhcp range of the router)
on the router enter that fixed ip address into the firewall and block it from WAN interface,
if you absolutely must have the pc on the network but don't want it able to connect to the internet, (although if you install a firewall program and av software on it and keep it up to date being attached to the network with internet access wont do it any harm unless you actually use it on the internet)
you would need to block both incoming and outgoing WAN traffic, and possibly (depending on the router) create a rule to allow internal traffic from that address  from the static ip address though.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Simplest way is to set the Windows network interface card to set a static IP address (outside the router's DHCP scope) and don't enter a default gateway.
No need for any other config Smiley
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for the responses chaps.
Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.