cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bleeping Telephone

alosend
Dabbler

Bleeping Telephone

Have recently gone broadband after many years on dial-up.    Since installing wireless router which I've actually hardwired to PC my telephone gives a short sharp bleep every half hour - sometimes one and sometimes two bleeps. It's regular as clockwork every 30mins and it does it even if router is powered off.  I have filters on all BT sockets and everything is working fine but I'm just cueious to know what it is.
Thanks for any suggestions.
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Bleeping Telephone

Hiya,
Are you able to try turning off the wireless on your router now that you have your PC wired into it?
It could potentially be some strange wireless interference issue.
alosend
Dabbler

It's a Thomson Gateway router but I can't see any instructions in it's leaflet about turning off wireless.
As I say. no real problem just occasionally annoying.
mal0z
Grafter

But you say it still occurs with router turned off - is that correct. If so it can't be the router can it ?.
Not that it make a difference - have you turned of and completely disconnected the router ? - does the phone still bleep.
If so there must be a fault either with the phone , the line or the exchange.
Have you another phone to try ?.
James
Grafter

I'd be more inclined to go with dodgy filter.
It's not going to be the line or the exchange imho.
mal0z
Grafter

Fair comment - I should have suggested removing filters as well as the router
alosend
Dabbler

Thank you all for suggestions, will try them all out tomorrow and report back. Smiley
alosend
Dabbler

Well, thanks to your suggestions and by process of elimination I have found that the bleeping only occurs when one particular telephone set (I have 3 connected throughout the house) is sharing a filter with the router into BT socket.  When that phone is plugged direct into BT socket (ie as I was before I had B/Band) then no bleeps.
None of the other phone sets cause bleeps if substituted into the filter with the router.
Even get the bleeps when router is disconnected from power. As I said the bleeps come almost exactly every half hour. The offending phone set is just a bog standard BT Decor 1200 with LCD display.
So there you have it folks, WEIRD but I can live with it now I know where the cause is.
Thanks for your interest. Huh
Denzil
Grafter

I'm sure you would prefer to stop it doing that, even if you know the cause! I would suggest replacing the filter with one of these.
alosend
Dabbler

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.
Graham
jwhite
Grafter

The Decor 1200 checks for voice messages using the 1571 service by going off-hook and checking for stuttered dial-tone.  It will do this at intervals, and also after completing a call.  I suspect this is the cause.
alosend
Dabbler

Many thanks, that sounds like a very plausible explanation - fits in perfectly with what I'm getting.
I think I've overcome the annoyance with much juggling of filters so 'fingers crossed'. Smiley