cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittorrent and routers

seanbranagh
Grafter

Bittorrent and routers

Anyone have a problem with the number of connections their router can handle if using bittorrent?
I have a Netgear DG834. When I am running uTorrent on one computer even with the speed limited my friend was experiencing difficulty establishing ftp connections to my Linux server.
I very quickly worked out that this problem did not exist when uTorrent was stopped which lead me to realize that uTorrent was pushing the processing power and NAT table in my router so far as the number of connections went. I tried to solve the problem by halfing the maximum number of global conections in uTorrent which did ease the problem a little but also reduced my download speed. I thought Netgear would have been one of the best routers and have had no other problems with it. I have now bought a second hand Cisco837 from eBay. I am hopeful that this should be much better at handling the number of connections needed.
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Bittorrent and routers

It's your upload rate that affects you performance more than download.
I have had a torrent coming down at 300K with upload limited to 20K and someone happily downloading from my ftp server.
That's using the piece of junk that is a dg834pn, though the dgteam firmware has made it much more stable
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have always limited my upload rate to 20K to allow for my webserver but this does not help with the ftp connections. It is definitely caused by the number of connections. I have a quite old DG834. Pretty sure it is a version 1. Maybe newer models have more procesing power?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does PN apply separate throttling's (sic) to ftp and telnet  - or do they just set alimit for both?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

There was some ting I remember a while ago about max number of connections in bittorrent, I think if you look on the utorrent faq there is a bit about it.
I know my old bt210 router used to collapse if there was too many "Half-open" connections.
Cant find the specific thread but this is similar:-
Additional note: As a general rule, a lot of home-routers can only handle a total number of 255 connections open at any one time. Thus, if you have many machines running on one network, your router will quite likely occasionally either lock up / crash or randomly dump connections it decides it can't handle (depending on how well the firmware is written). Your only solution really is the above: reduce the number of possible connections (unless you can afford to shell out on an expensive corporate router that is!)