cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios Settings Help Needed Please

God
Grafter

Bios Settings Help Needed Please

I had to swap ram around between two PC’s to do some testing.... When I returned the ram to my main Vista box it blue screened. So I reloaded safe defaults and tweaked everything back to as best I remember and all seems ok except that when I shut down the PC about 3 seconds later it attempts to boot up again! It then seems to make a few 2 or 3 second aborted attempts to boot before finally running properly
The cycling reminds me of what can happen when a setting for the CPU is wrong but I did write down the CPU and ram settings and these are the same as before the ram swap.
I have disabled PME Event Wake up, Power on Ring, Resume by Alarm and Power on by mouse and keyboard. Something else is still turning the PC on though and causing the aborted boot attempts can anyone suggest what else it might be? The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R. 
7 REPLIES 7
samuria
Grafter

Re: Bios Settings Help Needed Please

Have you tried going into the bios and hitting CTRL F1 on most Gigabyte boards you then get extra options
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When you loaded "safe defaults" - were these the BIOS default settings?
They are designed so that your machine will be stable - but possibly not quite as fast as before Cheesy
I bet you still have a memory glitch - are you able to run a proper memory test (boot from CD)?
Run it outside Windows, from a CD.
This might take a substantial time to run.
It might seem excessive - but if you download many Linux installs, you get this for free - such as Ubuntu. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

God
Grafter

No Extra options that I can see.....
A few more tweaks have stopped the failed reboots so now the problem is just rebooting rather than shutting down. Booting from a non windows disk (memtest 86) then shutting down still causes a reboot, so that would seem to clear vista of causing the problem. I will run memtest 86 for the rest of the night but I have the ram timings set as the sticks suggest 5 5 5 15 so it seems odd that they should cause a problem that would make the machine reboot on shutdown.
Off to bed now!
God
Grafter

17 clear passes on memtest, it doesnt appear to a ram problem.
God
Grafter

Update: I have tried a different power supply disconnected and reconnected all internal connections and components and the PC is still restarting itself immediately after shutdown. What on earth is causing this to happen?
MrC
Grafter

Wild guess: most BIOS have an option on what to do after power failure - usually has options of off, on and resume last state. It's possible this has got a bit confused so try setting it to the off setting, save BIOS settings and reboot. If it's already set to off try setting it to something else, save BIOS settings, reboot and change again.
Mike
God
Grafter

Hi Mike
I gave that a try but no joy. I also found there was a slightly later version of the bios and I have flashed that but still it persists on starting up straight away after shutdown. I also reloaded an image of the operating system from before the issue started it has made no difference.
Peter