cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bintec routers?

robinharvey

Bintec routers?

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience of using bintec routers with Plusnet VDSL?  I'm looking at this one:
http://www.bintec-elmeg.com/en/bintec-RS353jwv-875,113477.html
I'd like to know if this router work with Plusnet VDSL.
MTIA,
--Robin
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Bintec routers?

Not from experience, but I think it would be better to get one designed for ADSL Annex A, although that may make less difference when used on VDSL2.
The numbering in the DSL firmware listed in the Downloads section indicates that it uses a Lantiq DSL chipset, which probably isn't that popular, also used by the BT HomeHub 5A and the ECI modems.
robinharvey

Thanks ejs.
There seems to be an "Annex A" model here:
http://www.bintec-elmeg.com/en/bintec-RS353aw-837,113477.html
Is that what you mean?  I'm having a VDSL line installed, but I guess it would be good to be compatible with older ADSL connections too.
UPDATE: The above product page links to a details page which lists what looks like a UK variant : "bintec RS353aw-UK".  Sounds like Deutsche Telekom VDSL isn't the same as BT VDSL.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, it's not only for backwards compatibility with UK ADSL, it's also to try and ensure it's doing everything correctly according to Openreach VDSL2 requirements.
Is there any specific reason you are considering the bintec? I hadn't heard of that brand before now, I suppose it seems fairly similar Draytek, but Draytek have taken the effort to get their devices through the Openreach modem conformance testing, which strictly speaking, all devices need to have passed those tests.
robinharvey

My issue with the Draytecs is that their VPN doesn't do AES256 (and has another few bells and whistles missing), so I can't always use it for work.  I like the look if the Cisco 860s, but they only have 10/100 LAN interfaces, so risk being slower than the broadband (maybe, hopefully).  I've spent quite a while looking but I can't find any other mid-range routers which have all the features I need (any other suggestions most welcome!)
I'm going to approach some of the UK suppliers listed on Bintec's website and see what they say.
Thanks,
--Robin